FCC indecency crackdown affecting The Who

Jim Meninno jim_meninno at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 05:40:42 CDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce" <bkawak at chartertn.net>

> Not likely since I think they only edited version is on vinyl. :) I've
never
> heard it on the radio.

The edited versions of songs aren't what they used to be.  It's not like
there are complicated splices, removing entire verses from the songs, or
alternate lyrics sung in place of the offensive words anymore.  They just
sort of mute the vocals for (often a portion of) the swear word.  There's an
Eminem song that I kept hearing bleeped out like this: "I hope you f---king
burn in --- for this sh--t."  You almost have to be paying attention to
realize that anything was edited out.

So, who produces these versions?  The record companies?  The radio stations?
Would it be possible for them to turn their unwelcome attention to a classic
like Who Are You?  Seems like they must come from the record companies,
since they mute just the vocals, without interrupting the music, no?

Jim M