FCC indecency crackdown affecting The Who

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Apr 21 08:23:45 CDT 2004

>From: "Jim M" <petenotped at hotmail.com>
>
>>  what exactly is a "fuck" in this context? I don't get it.
>
>Just don't think too hard.  It's simply a gratuitous use of the word to mean
>a person, like "You lucky fuck."

Right.  Perhaps more common in Britain than in the U.S.

>It could just have easily been "duck."  At
>first I thought, great, why give one more reason for the song not to be
>played on the radio?  But, these days, with nearly every song having a lyric
>or two blanked out, maybe they thought it would sound cool with the kiddies?

More likely it's just Pete using the term that he would use in
everyday speech among friends.  As Pete-ophiles (hey! anyone ever use
that one before?!?) know, "fuck" is one of Pete's favorite words,
both on- and off-stage.

And no matter what you see in lyrics sites on the Web, it's "fucks".
It sounds like "fucks" to me on the studio version and it's what
Roger sang at the recent London shows.  The lyrics sites may be
deliberately cleaning it up for public consumption.

And, while I have you on the phone, thanks to Schrade for the book
recommendation.  It does sound like a fascinating read.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."