FCC indecency crackdown affecting The Who

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Apr 20 18:00:05 CDT 2004

> So, has anyone heard RGLB on the radio yet?

Nope.

;-(

But I don't listen to a lot of music on the radio.  I actually talked
to one of the main DJs from 98.5 WNCX in Cleveland - the
city's big classic rock station.  The DJ in question was "Mr.
Classic" (!) for those of you familiar with the station.  I talked to
him at a recently deceased friend's calling hours, oddly enough.

When I asked him if he was gonna give the two new Who songs
a chance & play them on the radio he just laughed & said, "I did
play 'Don't Get Fooled Again' today!"

"*Don't* Get Fooled Again."  Great.

He then surprised me by saying he bought THEN & NOW &
liked the two new tracks.  But he went on to tell this sob story
about how he has to stick to this strict playlist & only gets one
or two "free choices" every two or three hours.  If that.

He said the station gets visits from goofball regional directors
from time to time - people shockingly unknowledgeable about
rock music - who make sure the station is keeping to its play-
lists & not rocking the boat.

Sad, really.  Left me with the impression that 98.5 WNCX in
Cleveland, the Rock & Roll Capital of the World, won't be lend-
ing too much support to our boys' new efforts.

Then, my friend Mike brushed me aside & firmly, if not a little
rudely, ordered the esteemed DJ, "Mr. Classic", to "Play some
Hawkwind!" (!)

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism
http://www.secularhumanism.org/