Indecency vs. free speech (no Who)

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Apr 20 08:51:38 CDT 2004

> The FCC's own enforcement bureau had ruled last October that
> Bono's remarks weren't obscene because they didn't describe a
> sexual act.

Statements like this are both amusing & ancient.  I recently finished
a book called THE ANATOMY OF SWEARING by Ashley
Montagu (still in print) which recounts various attempts throughout
history to constrain the use of swearing, cursing, etc.  (Fines for public
swearing, anyone?)  This ridiculousness has been going on for over
400 years!

The book is good - more a history of English swearing than a "how
to" manual.  More a linguistic analysis than a silly, snicker-inducing
humorous effort, although there are many funny parts.  The author is
British so there's a whole chapter on "bloody!"  Plus a wonderful
analysis of "fuck!."

John Hughes & Alan McKendree, this book is right up your alley.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism
http://www.secularhumanism.org/