As I Already Told You, Celtics Interested In Gordon Hayward

Way Of The Ray wayoftheray at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 00:29:09 UTC 2013

Marc Stein:

The surprise of Extension Season was undoubtedly Utah's decision to let the July market decide the price for its new face of the franchise.
Contrary to some of the chatter out there, Hayward was not seeking the
four-year max worth in excess of $60 million from Utah during the past
month-plus of negotiations, but I'm convinced that's a legit possibility for him in the summer when he becomes a restricted free agent. There
are too many Hayward fans in front offices around the league for the
former Butler star not to cost the Jazz more later than a deal would
have cost them now, given how many teams are projected to have cap space and knowing that the price tags on restricted free agents are always
higher than they seemingly should be because the bidders are trying to
dissuade the home team from matching.

>You'll recall that it's
not too far in the past that Eric Gordon landed a four-year max offer
sheet in restricted free agency from Phoenix amid serious questions
about his knees. The Suns and Boston Celtics -- just to name two franchises known to be big Hayward admirers with Jeff Hornacek and Brad Stevens running their respective benches -- are among those projected
to have the cap space to put an uncomfortable offer on the table. Utah, of course, will have plenty of its own cap space to match a max
offer if necessary, but doing a deal with Derrick Favors when Hayward
might be an even bigger part of Utah’s future ... struck me as curious
to say the least.
Chris Forsberg:

The Celtics would seemingly have to do an awful lot of trimming this season to put themselves in position to be offering max deals this offseason.
That said, they do have that $10.3 million trade exception in their back pocket for potential sign-and-trade possibilities. Regardless, the
Stevens-Hayward connection will leave Celtics fans dreaming of a Butler
reunion in Boston.