Jeff Green 'cleared for everything'

BDodgers at aol.com BDodgers at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 00:57:24 UTC 2012

Jeff Green 'cleared for everything'

By _Chris Forsberg_ (http://search.espn.go.com/forsberg-chris/)  |
ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- The questions about his health are inevitable after he sat out
all  of last season after surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm, but _Boston
Celtics_ (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos)   forward _Jeff
Green_ (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3209/jeff-green)  doesn't waste
much time stressing that he's physically ready for the  2012-13 campaign.
"Fully recovered, part of the team, cleared for everything," Green said
Friday after joining teammates _Dionte  Christmas_
(http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4025/dionte-christmas)  and _Kris Joseph_ (http
://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6599/kris-joseph)  to  run a basketball clinic at the Holland
Elementary School in Dorchester, as part  of a community service day alongside
other members of the Celtics' organization,  the Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare
Foundation, and City Year volunteers.
Green knows he'll be peppered with questions about his health, but having
not  played an NBA game in nearly 16 months, it's clear his focus now is on
what lies  ahead. That's why when asked about the toughest hurdle in getting
back on the  floor, he smiles and declares, "Nothing."
To be certain, there is rust to shake.
"Getting in a groove, getting in a rhythm -- but it'll come," Green said.
"We  still have two months until the beginning of the regular season. That
stuff will  come. I've really been able to do everything -- contact, my
movements, my shot  is there, my lift is there. Everything is coming along."
Green signed a four-year, $36 million contract with the Celtics last month
despite sitting out all of last season when a preseason screening detected
the  aneurysm. He underwent surgery at the renowned Cleveland Clinic and
rehabbed at  times around the team with a goal of returning to Boston this
season.
Originally acquired from Oklahoma City at the trade deadline in February
2011, Green didn't feel like he put his best foot forward in his abbreviated
time with the Celtics. A year off gave the 26-year-old time to assess his
game,  and he hopes to make a bigger impact on the 2012-13 squad.
"Just probably being more assertive, more aggressive in certain
situations,"  Green said of changes he'd like to make in his approach. "That's about
it. My  game pretty much speaks for itself -- a guy who can play multiple
positions ...  attack in different situations. My game is what it is. I just
have to improve on  different things. Just show it out there on the court."
That includes a renewed focus on rebounding, one of his weaker points.
"(Rebounding is about) being aggressive toward the ball," Green said. "It's
a  hard thing, but you just have to go out there and want to do it."
Green brushed aside talk of more playing time at small forward, saying, "I
can play the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 -- whatever (coach) Doc (Rivers) puts me at,
that's where I'm going to be." He also gushed about the potential for
running  with _Rajon  Rondo_
(http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3026/rajon-rondo)  in transition.
Green has been participating in informal workouts with his teammates with
training camp set to open later this month. But it's not just being back on
the  court that excites him; getting back in the community is important, as
well.
"I had a lot of fun (with the basketball clinic). It felt good to get back
out here in the community," he said. "I haven't been able to in the past
year or  so. Now I'm back with the team, able to do this, it was great coming
out here  with the kids, putting smiles on their faces. Yelling and
screaming, but being  productive with it in a good way."
One of the messages Green hammered home to the students was taking
advantage  of their education, something he has a greater appreciation for after
finishing  up his degree at Georgetown while he rehabbed.
"Education, for me, was big. It allows me to have different avenues,
job-wise, because basketball is not forever," Green said. "One message that I
wanted to get to them was be serious with your education, it will allow you to
 do so many different things in this world. With what's going on in Chicago
 (teacher strikes), hopefully everything gets settled and the kids can go
back to  school, because I feel like education is very important for the
kids. That's the  next generation ... their education gets them started, puts
them in good  routines. Learn, learn, learn, and the sky is the limit for the
young  kids."