Ben Maller's NBA rumors

BDodgers at aol.com BDodgers at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 01:11:20 UTC 2009

Ben Maller's NBA rumors

by FOXSports.com

_Grizzlies making another run at Amare Stoudemire?_
(http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/17/front-office-not-kidding-itself-more-talent/)

The simplest way to do that would be to win the draft lottery, of course.
Blake Griffin, come on down. Failing that, the Grizzlies will have to be
creative. Take another run at Atlanta's Josh Smith. See if Phoenix will send
them Amare Stoudemire for Rudy Gay and a draft pick. "When you're a 24-win
team,  you don't have untouchables," said GM Chris Wallace. Ben's  Take:
Memphis has 0% chance to land Stoudemire. You think he's gonna  sign off on a
trade to the Grizzlies? Of course not! -- Memphis  Commercial Appeal
_Jazz coach: Andrei Kirilenko can't live up to contract_
(http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705297953/Forward-seeking-return-to-old-form.html?pg=3)
At slightly more than $15 million per year, Andrei Kirilenko makes about
$3.5  million more than next-closest teammate Boozer. He's due $16.45 million
next  season and $17.82 million in 2010-11. At the time he signed his
current $86  million contract extension in 2004, it was a max-money deal. That,
Sloan  suggested, goes a long way toward explaining why expectations are so
hard to  realize -- and magnifies each quick dash out of the locker room.
"Sometimes  money gets in the way of other people's thoughts about players," the
Jazz coach  said. "It's kind of like when we had (center Greg) Ostertag,"
he added.  "Ostertag got a big contract, and they expected him to play like
(Kareem Abdul-)  Jabbar. Well, he wasn't. And that happens with a lot of
people sometimes."  Ben's Take: My dream is to sign a big contract and have
critics  call me overpaid. Kirilenko really is living the life. -- Deseret News
_Thunder will try to trade Earl Watson_
(http://newsok.com/thunder-notebook-jeff-green-improved-over-rookie-season/article/3362080?custom_click=headline
s_widget)
Because of his $6.6 million salary next season, Thunder general manager Sam
 Presti is expected to try and trade Earl Watson in the offseason. "It is
what it  is," Watson said. "I'm a professional. It could transition in any
way. If I come  back, it's important to know that I have a role. I don't want
to be in a  position where I don't play like Chris Wilcox, especially going
into the last  year of my deal. If I'm back, I want to know I'm wanted back.
We'll see what  happens." -- Oklahoman
_Eddy Curry trade key to Knicks offseason_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/sports/basketball/17knicks.html)
Eddy Curry's season was obliterated by injuries, misfortune and lack of
fitness, robbing the Knicks of a potent scorer and denying them the chance to
trade him and his hefty salary. Team officials said they hoped to see a
different Curry in training camp. Donnie Walsh, the team president, said on
Thursday that Curry had committed to a comprehensive off-season program with
a  Detroit-based trainer. Walsh said the proposal came from Curry and his
agent,  Leon Rose. One way or another, Curry, 26, is critical to the Knicks'
future.  When healthy, he is a gifted low-post scorer who could be a potent
force in  D'Antoni's supercharged offense. They also need Curry to be
productive to have  any chance of trading him. Ben's Take: You know you are out of
shape, when the fact you are going to work out with a trainer is news. In
related news Kobe, LeBron, Wade and Pierce will also work out this
offseason. -- NY Times
_Steve Nash wants Suns extension through 2013_
(http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/04/16/20090416sunsoffseason0417.html)
As he seeks an extension through 2013, Steve Nash embraces the idea of a
transition that may not put the team in the title mix. "I'd be happy just to
be  a part of a really positive and optimistic atmosphere," Nash said. "Be a
part of  a team that was really on the same page, plays together, plays
hard every night  and makes the season exciting for one another and the fans.
You may say I'm  lowering my expectations but I think that's a great place to
start. If that's a  goal for us, maybe we can get to the next level. But I
think sometimes it's  difficult to start playing the Band-Aid game and
always put a Band-Aid over  problems." -- Arizona Republic
_Gilbert Arenas wants to lead league in triple doubles_
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/16/AR2009041604347.html)
Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas said he will be a little less Agent Zero and
"turn into a real point guard. To be honest I want to lead the league in
triple  doubles next season. We have enough scorers on this team where I can
try to  dominate the game in other ways." Ben's Take: Arenas should  really
hype himself and say he wants to AVERAGE a triple double next season.  --
Washington Post
_Bucks might trade Jefferson or Redd next season_
(http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/43145007.html)
That, of course, implies health and the reality that the Bucks will have no
 free-agent money until after they could perhaps trade Richard Jefferson,
Michael  Redd or both after the end of next season. Ben's Take: Should  the
Bucks trade Redd or Jefferson whats the point of even having a franchise in
Milwaukee? I've heard Jefferson would love to play for the Suns. --
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
_Chris Duhon and Quentin Richardson Knicks trade bait_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/sports/basketball/17knicks.html)
Four Knicks players -- Chris Duhon, Al Harrington, Larry Hughes and Quentin
 Richardson -- have contracts that will expire next season, which makes all
of  them potential trade bait if Donnie Walsh sees the chance to add a top
player.  "I'm going to protect" the 2010 plan, Walsh said, but that could
change if an  All-Star is suddenly on the trade market. "There are exceptions
to any kind of  plan." -- NY Times
_Celts Kevin Garnett needs knee surgery_
(http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1166230&format=text)
Surgery looms According to the Celtics, Kevin Garnett will need surgery on
the knee, though not because of the strained muscle that is keeping him off
the  floor. A bone spur in the back of the knee - a condition that Garnett
apparently  had before straining his knee muscle on Feb. 19 in Utah - will
require a minor  procedure during the offseason. -- Boston Herald
_Hunter wants trade if not in Nuggets' plans next season_
(http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/04/16/hunter-would-want-trade-if-not-next-season-in-nuggets
-plans/)
Steven Hunter wants to make sure he's playing next season. "I'm looking for
 an opportunity,'' Hunter said in an interview with InDenver Times. "If
there's  not an opportunity for me to come in and play (in Denver), I can't
afford to sit  on the bench in my contract year.'' Does that mean, Hunter, who
has one year and  $3.7 million left on his contract after this season, would
want the Nuggets to  trade him if he's not in their plans? "Definitely, if
I don't fit in, I would,''  he said. "But I definitely understand it's a
business, but I got to take care of  business, too" Nuggets coach George Karl,
though, doesn't rule out Hunter  playing a role with the team next season.
-- In Denver Times
_Vince Carter supports Nets coach Lawrence Frank_
(http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/04/vince_carter_supports_new_jers.html)
As Vince Carter spoke of Lawrence Frank Thursday, he stated an eloquent
case  for his coach's return, and he didn't even seem conscious of it. "He
wants to  win. He's an X's and O's guy. He works his butt off," Carter said
Thursday, as  the Nets parted ways after a 34-48 season. "I think sometimes he
gets a little  too excited. I tell him all the time to calm down, but he
never listens to me. I  say 'Relax, everything will be okay.' "But that was the
biggest challenge for us  this year -- we were placed 15th or whatever. We
wanted it so bad for this team  to do well because of the 'Can I handle it,
can he handle it'" speculation.  -- Newark Star-Ledger
_Suns look to make Gentry permanent coach_
(http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/04/16/20090416sunsoffseason0417.html)
The Suns first priority will be signing interim head coach Alvin Gentry to
a  contract to make his status permanent. -- Arizona Republic
_Gilbert Arenas: Wizards need to get serious_
(http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/17/arenas-wizards-playtime-now-over/)
After a break for rest and recovery, the Wizards - and Gilbert Arenas in
particular - said it's time to get serious. "We've just been a goofball team
for  a while now, and it's fun when you're winning. But when you're not
winning, it  kinda looks depressing," Arenas said. Forward Caron Butler said he
expected to  meet with team president Ernie Grunfeld possibly as early as
Saturday and get  caught up on the new coaching hire and the outlook for the
future. Then he  planned on attending playoff games in Miami and Los Angeles,
allowing himself to  feel the sting of disappointment and use it as
motivation for next season.  -- Washington Times
_Owner: Wolves aren't for sale_
(http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12160258?nclick_check=1)
There have been rumblings that a group of investors is interested in buying
 the Timberwolves, but owner Glen Taylor said that's news to him and that
he  isn't looking to sell. -- Pioneer Press
_Grant Hill plans on Suns return_
(http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/04/16/20090416sunsoffseason0417.html)
Suns forward Grant Hill is a free agent but already registered his older
daughter for next year at her Valley school. "I plan on being here," he said.
 "This feels like home." -- Arizona Republic
_Charlie Villanueva and Ramon Sessions are gone from  Milwaukee_
(http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/43145007.html)
The lottery has guaranteed the Bucks nothing except Andrew Bogut in the
last  10 years, but if they pick high enough to draft a point guard, they
should let  Ramon Sessions go to free agency. Win the No. 1 and Blake Griffin
becomes their  first real power forward since Vin Baker. In any event, Charlie
Villanueva is  gone. With tax implications, the Bucks can't afford to even
make him a  qualifying offer. Luke Ridnour will be gone if they're able to
move his expiring  contract with Alexander as incentive. They should trade the
lottery pick, too,  if it falls below a certain point. At minimum, the
Bucks will come back with  Bogut, Redd, and Richard Jefferson as the
centerpieces in the last season before  Skiles and Hammond will have enough payroll
room to rebuild the roster. --  Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
_Bosh endorses Trianao as Raptors coach_
(http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/04/17/9141051-sun.html)
Chris Bosh, probably the Raptor who was closest to Sam Mitchell, the man
Jay  Triano replaced last November, echoed Jose Calderon's thoughts "Jay did a
good  job," Bosh said. "He always has positive vibes. He loves the game of
basketball,  and I think he knows what he's doing ... I think everybody else
is comfortable  with him." Triano, who will meet with Colangelo next week
but is unsure when any  decision about his future with the team would be
announced, did have some very  definite ideas about what this Raptors team needs
to do to get better. --  Toronto Sun
_Conley: Griz got their swagger back at end of season_
(http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/17/feel-good-finish/)
In the end, the Griz just may have instilled a sense of hope that there is
a  foundation in place to build a bright future. "Everybody got their
swagger back.  Everybody got their confidence," second-year point guard Mike
Conley said.  "Everybody started to believe we could win games and not just play
a team close.  The last 20 games were a big step from that aspect. "We had
more respect for  each other. We trusted each other. We became more of a
team. Before, we were  more individuals, trying to go one-on-one too much. But
the teamwork was  evident, with guys making extra passes and being unselfish.
The end result is  that everybody looked good and we were playing better."
-- Memphis  Commercial Appeal
_Bulls Salmons looks to slow Celts Paul Pierce_
(http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1530923,CST-SPT-bullnt17.article)
Bulls forward John Salmons will have the primary defensive assignment on
Paul  Pierce, who leads the Celtics in scoring with 20.5 points per game.
''He's a  tough cover,'' Salmons said. ''He's got every move in the book. He's
real  herky-jerky. He's one of those guys where every jab-step or pump-fake
he makes,  you have to respect it.'' Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro said the
Salmons-Pierce  matchup is ''huge'' when it comes to the Bulls' chances in the
series. But Del  Negro said Pierce will draw defensive attention from all
the Bulls. ''At some  point in the series, they're all going to be guarding
him, whether it's in  transition or a post-up or switch,'' Del Negro said.
''We have to handle him.''  -- Chicago Sun-Times
_Kevin Garnett to join Celtics cheerleaders_
(http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1166230&format=text)
Forward Kevin Garnett, per request of Celtics management, is about to fill
a  role he is known to hate, as a non-playing member of the bench. "He will
be on  the bench," Doc Rivers said after making the announcement that,
barring a  miracle, Garnett will not play in the playoffs. "I told him that we
need him out  there. "We just hope that he doesn't get a technical." All
concerned know how  beneficial even an inactive Garnett can be. Throughout his
inactivity - Garnett  played in only four of the last 29 games of the season -
the All-Star forward  watched home games in the locker room. He was quick
to offer advice. He'll now  have a chance to do this in huddles. "If he can't
be on the floor, then I'm sure  he'll be helping from the sidelines," said
Ray Allen. -- Boston Herald
_Rasheed Wallace: Cavaliers NBA's 'Goliath'_
(http://www.detnews.com/article/20090417/SPORTS0102/904170374/1004/sports/Rasheed+Wallace+sees+Cavaliers+as
++Goliath+)
When you scan all the pundits and prognosticators, the Pistons aren't being
 given much of a chance to win a game let alone a series from the powerful
Cleveland Cavaliers. Rasheed Wallace, your thoughts? "It's going to be a
good  challenge," he said. "They've got a pretty good record, a pretty good
home  record and I know they are feeling themselves right now. So I guess it's
going  to be like David vs. Goliath." -- Detroit News
_Steve Kerr: Suns not a championship team_
(http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/04/16/steve-kerr-has-to-regret-trading-for-shaq/)
Suns GM Steve Kerr joined XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix and commented on his
quote that "this team is not a contender" "I didn't think we were a
championship  team this year, I think that's fairly obvious. But even if we had
complete  health and even if we had not had the coaching turmoil, I didn't think
we were a  championship team. I don't think I'm spreading any news here, I
think people  understand that, but I just want to make that clear. On the
other hand, I do  believe with a little better luck and less turmoil, we're
right in the middle of  the pack in the Western playoff hunt." -- Sports Radio
Interviews / XTRA  Sports 910 (Phoenix)
_Rockets hope experience is edge_
(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6377949.html)
Rockets center Yao Ming said the team would quickly get over the
disappointment of Wednesday's loss, largely because the players have to. "I  think
everybody will get the mindset, the right attitude about the playoffs  because
this is the playoffs," Yao said. "I don't think anybody will go out  there
and not prepare themselves. "We have to get our mindset into the playoffs,
myself and my team to prepare for this. This is a serious season now
starting.  Their first time in the playoffs since 2003, a lot of the guys are in
their  first time playing in the playoffs. A good side is that we can talk
about  playoff experience. Maybe we have a little more than them (Blazers). The
flip  side is they will maybe have more energy because it's their first
time playing."  -- Houston Chronicle
_Skiles: Bucks need to be mentally tougher_
(http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/43145002.html)
General manager John Hammond and the Bucks' front office will work to add
some talent and undoubtedly will make a few changes. But Scott Skiles told
each  player to check his own approach and professionalism while working
toward next  season. "We need to become much mentally tougher," Skiles said. "We
need to be  in better shape early in the season, coming into camp. We've
got all the way  around the horn commitments from everybody with regard to
that. "We need to  understand the significant moments in the game and react
accordingly." --  Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
_Report: Allen Iverson's bodyguard strikes partygoer in face with  bottle_
(http://www.detnews.com/article/20090417/SPORTS0102/904170373/1004/SPORTS)
A birthday celebration early Easter Sunday turned into a bar-room brawl
involving a bodyguard of Pistons All-Star Allen Iverson, according to claims
by  partygoers. The incident reportedly started about 2 a.m. Sunday at the
South  Beach Lounge at 3011 West Grand Blvd., Detroit Police spokesman James
Tate said.  "According to the people who made the complaint, there was a
birthday party in  the bar, and the group was sitting in a booth next to Iverson
and two of his  bodyguards," Tate said. "Supposedly, Iverson's guards were
flashing some money,  and then they locked eyes with the partygoers. Words
were supposedly exchanged  back and forth, and then one of the bodyguards
allegedly struck one of the  partygoers in the face with a bottle, causing a
laceration over the left eye."  -- Detroit News
_Charles Barkley: Bunch of losers tweeting_
(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2009-04-16-charles-barkley-tnt-platform_N.htm?loc=inte
rstitialskip)
Charles Barkley says he'll never move on to Twitter. "A bunch of losers
tweeting," he says. "The concept of tweeting is that people are following you
around in your everyday life." Ben's Take: Charles, not  everyone on
Twitter was busted for a DUI on the way to visit a hooker. -- USA Today
_NBA TV signs deal with DirecTV_
(http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002498.html?categoryId=14&cs=1)
NBA TV has expanded its distribution on DirecTV, sealing a new multi-year
deal with the satellite provider. Under the new pact, which begins with the
2009-2010 basketball season, NBA TV will now be offered as part of
DirecTV's  "Choice XTRA" tier. The 24-hour network will also move down to channel
216, from  its current position on channel 601, and be provided in both
standard and  high-definition signals. "NBA League Pass," which delivers up to 40
out-of-market games each week to subscribers, will also continue to be
offered.  -- Variety
_Wizards Arenas: I'm a hype man, all smoke and mirrors_
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/16/AR2009041604347.html)
Wizards star Gilbert Arenas said he doesn't want to be a distraction next
season and laughed at the reports that he could be a handful for the next
coach  to deal with. "I know everyone thinks I'm going to be the big head
case," Arenas  said. "But I don't fight with anybody. I don't fight with the
coaches. I don't  fight with the players. I don't really say anything -- only
to the media. I'm  just a hype man. It's all smoke and mirrors with me." --
Washington Post
_Wolves fire radio analyst and TV sideline reporter_
(http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12160258?nclick_check=1)
Pssst: On Thursday, Timberwolves radio analyst Kevin Lynch and TV sideline
reporter Lea B. Olson were fired with seven other Wolves employees. Neither
 Lynch's nor Olson's position will be filled. -- Pioneer Press
_NBA coaches support Chuck Daly's cancer battle_
(http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/041709dnspomavslede.3373c95.ht
ml)
The National Basketball Coaches' Association announced Thursday it will
dedicate the 2009 NBA playoffs to Chuck Daly. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle is
 president of the NBCA and said coaches throughout the playoffs will wear a
lapel  pin emblazoned with the initials "CD" in support of Daly, who was
diagnosed with  pancreatic cancer in February. The NBCA also is developing the
Chuck Daly  Lifetime Achievement Award to honor a current or former NBA
head or assistant  coach. -- Dallas Morning News
Say hi to Ben Maller at _myspace.com/benmaller_
(http://www.myspace.com/benmaller) . Get special rumor updates and follow the  life and times of Ben
Maller on Twitter at _Twitter.com/benmaller_ (http://twitter.com/benmaller)
Interact with Ben's fans and talk sports on _Ben Maller's forum_
(http://www.benmaller.com/forum/)   Questions, comments and news tips can be sent to
Ben via e mail at _Ben at BenMaller.com._ (mailto:%20ben at benmaller.com)
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220814852x1201410738/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26