Point guard not named Rajon

Peter Delevett pdelevett at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 13:39:52 CST 2008

There are two reasons why Payton might actually be
preferable to Cassell:

1) We'd have to trade for Sam, unless the Clips were
to waive him. According to RealGM, that would require
a package along the lines of Scalabrine/Tony/Powe to
make the salaries match. Not only do I question
whether the Clips would want two years of Scal, but I
also wonder if we'd want to give up Tony for Sam I Am.

2)Cassell at this stage of his career would probably
accept coming off the bench but would probably chafe a
bit about being on the floor at crunch time. Payton,
who's older, might be a little more sanguine about
riding the pine and letting Rondo continue to develop.
Both are pretty good defenders, but Payton's a little
bigger, and at this stage might be more in line with
what we need: a situational defender and ball-handler
who can help get the team into its offense rather than
look to score.

Now, the LA Times just ran a story
(http://tinyurl.com/2oxbvv) that indicated Cassell
could be close to asking for a trade. If he could get
the team to release him, and if he'd be willing to eat
the final months of his salary in order to latch on
with us for the vet's minimum, I'd be perfectly
satisfied with that. Add either of these guys, and
then (fantasizing here, but) convince PJ Brown to come
aboard for the vet's minimum, and there is no way - no
way - this team doesn't win a title.