For want of an Egg, the omelet was lost

douglas342 at aol.com douglas342 at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 14:01:57 CST 2008

  Kim makes a point here (perhaps inadvertently) that I find very
important.

She said below:  "And truly, while the Celtics are very good, and have
meshed
much faster than I ever hoped they would, they're still hardly
perfect, so there's still plenty to criticize legitimately if you
want."

There are posters (and I don't know anyone well enough to name names)
who would simply post saying "Here are things to criticize"  without
acknowledging that the team is good.  That minimal effort to concede
the common ground makes any post more palatable to me.

The list has had its share of nay-sayers, some present, some gone.  I
read all their posts, and just wished that some of them could have
acknowledged that maybe there were some things about the team to like,
even if it was only one guy's performance in the 55th loss of the year
last year.  That would placate people who desparately want to like the
team.  Instead sometimes such people would be made to feel like fools
for holding out ANY hope at all.

When I'm trying to settle a case in court, or when I'm doing a small
claims case, I tell the people, "I want to find out what we agree on,
then find out what we disagree on.  What to do about the disagreements
is up to the judge."  Often the process of finding the areas of
agreement is a very soothing and calming and leads to resolution.