And if that MOCKingbird don't sing...I'm gonna buy me a Jianlian

Ryan W ubiquitous_am_i at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 12:37:56 CDT 2007

Lots of doom and gloom from Mark B. on draft day.
This has got to be the weirdest draft ever.  For like
the first time ever, I don't really have a preference
about who we take.  Everybody that has been projected
as possibly being picked at #5 is someone I could talk
myself into liking.  Weird.  I don't even know who to
hope doesn't get picked ahead of us.  Man, but it's
still going to be fun.

With that said, here are some of my pre-draft
feelings:

While I can talk myself into liking anyone we draft, I
have a feeling that Brewer and Horford are not going
to be as good as everyone thinks.  Brewer is just too
skinny, doesn't shoot well enough or dribble well
enough.  He'll be a good player--maybe--but in 3-5
years time.  I don't want him picked....though if he's
picked I'll convince myself that Danny knows what he's
doing.  As for Horford, I can't really pinpoint it,
but his game is just stiff and lacks fluidity.  I
didn't get excited watching him play.  He has nice
skills and good athleticism, but his body doesn't move
in the ways I find pleasing.  Does that make sense?  I
just don't think he's going to be a perennial All-Star
type.  I'd like to get that out of this draft.

Of course, I like Noah and he's probably won't be a
perennial All-Star type either.  But I think his
makeup is PERFECT for our current team.  Sometimes,
just one player with that great attitude can infuse
the rest of the team and make everyone play a little
better than they actually are.  I think Noah is that
kind of player.  And he fills a need.  A very
important need, especially given Al's defensive
deficiencies; he can be a great help-side defender,
shotblocker, rebounder, and he can get on the break
very very well.  And he works hard.  I think I like
him best...

Yi is cool because he also fits this team.  We need a
three point shooting 7 footer to team with Al on the
offensive end.  Unfortunately, I think he'll be slow
to develop and still leave us with defensive issues if
he does develop.

My sleeper pick is Jeff Green.  I think he's the
player that looking back on this draft people are
going to realize he was a supremely talented player
playing in a very structured offense who didn't get to
show off his game until he got to the NBA.  I'm
talking about a Paul Pierce type career.  I think he
can be that good.

My super sleeper is Julian Wright.  I guess I'm just a
sucker for those Antoine types, who can handle the
ball, pass, rebound, and facilitate the offense.  I
think our team needs ballhandlers and facilitators.
I'm not really advocating Wright at 5, but if we trade
down he'd be a great pick.  We'd need a good coach to
get the most out of him, however....

Other predictions: Ainge will make at least one trade
tonight, probably for a late first round pick.  Danny
just loves the draft and if he can get a first rounder
cheaply, then he does it and gives us another chip.
That's why Nick Young was brought in.  Not that I like
Nick Young--he got HORRIBLE marks in Hollinger's
latest article on the draft and I tend to give
credence to Hollinger's statistical analysis.

Last prediction: we're going to get a veteran in some
manner...if not tonight, then after July 1st.  I like
Lewis, but I think the real sleeper free agent is
Gerald Wallace.  He'd be perfect on this team.
Defense, hustle, and transition offense.  But I don't
think Charlotte is willing to part with him and we can
only offer MLE if we can't work out a sign-and-trade.

Okay, enough ramblings for now.

Ryan