Shoo Fly Pie And Apple Pan Dowdy

Eggcentric at aol.com Eggcentric at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 08:58:50 CDT 2007

The list of available players via trade reads like a who's who of
all-stars. Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O’Neal, Shaun
Marion, Andre Kirilenko, Pau Gasol, Rashard Lewis, Vince
Carter, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison, Rasheed Wallace,
Josh Smith, Zach Randolph, Ron Artest, Mike Bibby   Enough to
make your eyes light up and your tummy say "Howdy," right?

Wrong.

The theory was that Danny would amass a bunch of young
trading chips without thought to position, team chemistry,
veteran mentors, or winning percentage. And that by year
five (formerly year three) of his el jefehood he would somehow
magically cash in a few of these priceless chips for players
who would make us whole, i.e. immediate contenders, right?

Wrong.

Actually Celt fans were never talking just CONTENDERS, they were
talking CHAMPIONS.   Improving upon 33 and 24 win seasons to
merely become a first round playoff one-and-done just won't do.
Going from A to B only to live in perpetual mediocrity is way
below the expectations of fans who after Gavitt, Carr, Pitino,
Wallace, and Ainge, still believe in Santa Claus.   We must go
from A to C.   And C stands for championship.   Piece of cake,
oops, I mean Shoo Fly pie, right?

Wrong.

There's just one little fly in the pie.   It turns out that we
have a few less trading chips than we thought.   We have the
#5 pick, and we have Big Al and we have uh err uh hmmmm ...
But who's counting?   The #5 and Big Al are plenty enough
ammo to finally bring us a veteran all-star, right?

Wrong.

It turns out that almost no one wants to part with our chips.
Steve Knight says he wouldn't trade Big Al for anything less
than Tim Duncan.   Hartley doesn't think there's anyone he
would give up Big Al for.   And it sounds like lots of folks on
this list agree with them that Big Al, warts and all, does indeed
walk on water. So let's remove Big Al from our short list of
trading chips.   But we can still trade the #5 pick in a package
for a topnotch vet, can't we?   What's that you say, Mark Berry?
Okay, okay.   So let's remove the #5 pick from our trading chips
list as well.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. There is one more possible trading
chip ... Theo's expiring contract. Now that tickles my tummy.
We keep Big Al and the #5 and get one of the above all-star
types for Theo and Allen Ray, right?

Wrong.

Yet another extended high buck contract (along with Pierce,
Wally, and soon-to-be Jeff) would financially paralyze poor
Wyc and our team for years to come.   Adding just one topnotch
veteran wouldn't be nearly enough to make us champions.
And teams willing to trade such a big time talent for Theo
would also demand a decent player(s) and/or draft pick(s)
thrown in to appease their fans and cement the deal.

Oh dear, what to do, what to do.   I feel an attack of the vapors
coming on, no doubt just a bit of temporary flatulence due to
being served too many Grouspaingel (™ Kestas) pan dowdys.
No deal seems to work. So just forget about all those available
all stars. Celtic Nation has spoken.   Big Al is better than all
of 'em put together, anyone we draft at #5 is sure to be a
future Hall of Fame inductee, and we're so good and brimming
with the promise of youth that we don't need any of those high
buck prima donnas.   Besides, I understand the Nuggets are
willing to instantly upgrade our team by offering us Anthony
Carter and Von Wafer for Telfair.   And Danny, never one to
miss out on a bargain and still searching for a 3 pt. shooter,
is also at the ready to sign Ohio St. guard, Ron Lewis, in the
likely event he won't be drafted, right?

Right.

"If Lewis wasn't already a senior, he'd be a sure lottery pick in
the 2010 draft."

Yup, Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy.   I never get enough
of this wonderful stuff.

Egg