Tony Allen Provoked The Shooting, Says Victim - Shooter Part Of Allen's Entourage

Way Of The Ray wayoftheray at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 05:52:27 CDT 2005

Hat Tip JS

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-celtics02.html

Shooting victim says Celtics player provoked fight

September 2, 2005

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI Staff Reporter

Boston Celtics guard and former Crane High School star
Tony Allen sparked a confrontation that led to the
shooting of a Hinsdale man last weekend, the victim
and his attorney claimed Thursday.

Chicago Police said they want to interview Allen, 23,
but they are not calling him a suspect.

Allen's lawyer, Michael Zaslavsky, refused to say when
his client might talk to detectives. "[Allen] is not a
suspect," Zaslavsky said. "According to [Thursday's
Chicago Sun-Times], he's accused of no wrongdoing. But
if there is an ongoing investigation, I can't comment
on that."

Marktwain Johnson, 29, was shot in the left arm and
left side early Sunday at the White Palace Grill at
Roosevelt and Canal. Johnson was taken to Stroger
Hospital, but he since has been released.

"I was shot at close range,'' Johnson said Thursday in
a telephone interview. "The doctor said if I didn't
put my hand up . . . I would have been shot in the
head."

Johnson said he didn't know the shooter but would be
able to recognize him again. The shooter was part of a
large entourage that accompanied Allen into the
restaurant, said Johnson's lawyer, Rahsaan A. Gordon.

'It was close range'

Gordon said Allen and Johnson engaged in "verbal
jabbing" and "posturing" months ago.

Johnson -- and perhaps Allen -- attended a huge
Saturday night party for Celtics guard Will Bynum at a
club on Canal, sources said. There are conflicting
accounts about whether there was a confrontation at
the gathering.

Either way, Gordon said Bynum -- Allen's former
teammate at Crane -- invited Johnson to the White
Palace for an after-party get-together. Bynum's agent
did not know whether Bynum was at the grill at the
time of the shooting, but regardless said he was in no
way involved.

Johnson "is inside the restaurant, standing at a
counter waiting to be seated," Gordon said, adding
Johnson was with several others.

"A short time later [around 3:30 a.m.], Tony Allen
comes in with a large group of 10 to 15 people.
Immediately when he comes in, he spots Marktwain
Johnson and he begins to go into his tirade."

"F--- him up," Allen told the shooter, according to
Gordon.

That could not be confirmed with police, who
interviewed Johnson at the hospital.

A fight ensued, and some time later "shots rang out,"
Johnson said. "I knew they were aiming for me. It was
close range."

Everyone scattered, but "the police have a pretty good
picture of who the shooter is," Gordon said.

Investigators are reviewing video surveillance tapes,
sources said.

Contributing: Annie Sweeney, Monifa Thomas and Michael
O'Brien