Re: The Who's Popularity Peak

In a message dated 4/7/2004 1:38:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
That's why I'm trying to get some feedback on this question.

I understand Scott's point and I agree with him that The Who were at their
peak of *popularity* during the period of 79-82.  But I would put it back to '78
to 82.  The song Who Are You was another WGFA as far as radio play is
concerned. It is still standing.  And yes, you *can* dance to it. (It depends on
either how black or how drunk you are).  This song was a monster.

The publicity surrounding the band did it I think.  They were legends by this
point and had a tremendous amount of popularity capital.  No one knew they
would fizzle out the way they did, (which is why I'm glad that they are redoing
the end of their careers-as they should). And they were known to be great
already. To Joe fan though, it was The Who. Who cares about anything else. They
played in stadiums to huge crowds (like in 75-76) and their reputation was
filling their sails. There were the old fans and the many new fans that were
generated by WAY and the publicity. I became interested in them at first because my
older siblings and neighbors were. Lewey Perdue showed me how cool his car
"stereo" was by playing WAY on it and I could hear it going from side to side and
it blew me away. No song sounded like that in 1978!

But by '82, they were obviously not the same. Pete's heart was not in it and
he spoke openly about it <gasp!>. They said farewell. Then it got bitter
between him and Roger, years passed and they were put on ice.

Enter the Who in ice...
I was shocked when there was no line for tickets at the Silverdome box office
the day the tickets went on sale for the '89 tour. But it still sold well.

What we are seeing today folks, is a genuine phenomenon.  They are
recapturing their glory against all odds. No one did what they did before they did it
and no one has done what they are now doing either. Popularity or not.  This is
not the Who on ice.  This is a living band with the benefit of hindsight
fighting for life.

I dig that!!

Jon in Mi.