New Message From Pete

==========
http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=81&zone=diary

NY 27 Feb 2004

In New York City for the first time since the last Who shows in the USA
in the Fall of 2002.

It is a joy to be back. To feel the old pre 9/11 energy of this little island
returning. The sun is shining.

I am here for two reasons

Firstly, Eel Pie Publishing artist Rachel Fuller has a showcase for Universal
Records.

Secondly, I want to play two new Who tracks to Doug Morris the CEO
of Universal. The Who are now handled by Geffen which is based in L.A
and - though owned by Universal - has different staff. But Doug signed
me to my first real solo deal at Atlantic in 1978 - which led to the making
and release of EMPTY GLASS, and several more until PSYCHODERELICT
my last solo album delivery in 1993. He also signed Rachel in 2002. I want
him to be the first person in Universal to hear the new Who music.

These new tracks strongly feature 'Who2', the wonderful band that
supported Roger and me after John Entwistle's sudden death in 2002.
They are Zak Starkey on drums, Rabbit Bundrick on keyboards, Pino
Palladino on bass, Simon Townshend on additional guitar and vocals.
Simon has also produced the two new tracks (REAL GOOD LOOKING
BOY and OLD RED WINE), taking over from me and Bob Pridden
when I realized I myself needed to be produced when in the studio. It's
worked out very well.

REAL GOOD LOOKING BOY is a song I wrote quite a few years ago
about two young men who worry about their looks. One of them, based
on me - hopes and believes he might look like his best friend who is a
conventionally handsome fellow. (He is disavowed of this notion by his
mother). The second, based on Roger - hopes and believes he will one
day turn out to be like the young Elvis. (He, more happily, sees part of his
dream come true). They both find love in later life.

OLD RED WINE I wrote right here in the hotel I now sit in (in NY) about
the late John Entwistle. He loved expensive claret, and often drank it past
its prime. There is an irony there somehow: John never seemed to realize
how perfectly MATURE he had really become as rock musician. He didn't
need the trappings he thought essential, and that - in my opinion - led directly
to his premature death.

Rachel did her first showcase here in NY for Doug and all those from
Universal who will be working on her forthcoming CD (Cigarettes and
Housework). It went very well indeed. She had a real spark in what was
only her second live show, and the music sounded great. Nearly 50 friends
and business people came - and S.I.R studios on 25th Street was the
perfect venue for the event.

This is a good weekend for me. I get to see a lot of my old friends from
NYC for the first time for a while. And while I'm here I'll try to buy Roger
something great but not very useful for his 60th birthday on Monday.

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism
http://www.secularhumanism.org/