Re: The Who's Popularity Peak

	>From: "Schrade, Scott"
	>Subject: Re: The Who's Popularity Peak
>
>When did The Who reach their peak in popularity?
>
>And here on the list we have Mark & Jim in favor of '69 - '71, & me, Dereck,
>& Jon (I think) saying '79 - '82.
>
>Anyone else want to chime in?

I wish I could remember the year of that "70's history" episode on VH1 that put The Who and Zep in a battle for top band that year.
That said, I still don't know if that would be the correct year.
I think tickets our age (late 30's) have the most vivid memory of The Who's popularity around the '82 tour because of the HUGE tour complete with (was it Bud?) beer sponsorship.
But, The Who were damn popular back in the '69-'71 era when they left The Kinks in the dust.  Doh!  ;-o

Still, I don't believe The Who began *losing* popularity after WN, or any of the subsequent albums.  Quad kept things going, and the whole "should The Who continue after Keith's death" thing really added to their notoriety, a notoriety that only grew even LARGER upon the death of Boneman...in '81/'82 and the difference in band paths after the death of their wild drummers.

So, given all of that...
I'd have to throw my hat into the '82 tour ring.
That's when their popularity was at it's highest, and then began to go down with the long absence before the "farewell" tour.

MY HO!

Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: