TKAA DVD Review

OK,.....TKAA on DVD.  The packaging - brilliant.  Hats off to Brian Cady
for his well-written booklet essay.  A very nice booklet.

The actual movie - I hate to say it but I was a bit underwhelmed.  The picture
seemed very dark to me, even with my TV set on maximum brightness - esp-
cially the London Coliseum & Woodstock footage.

The first Melvin Bragg (?) footage ("There's a bill here, or an account.....") still
has frames with that big black dot/smudge in the upper right-hand corner of the
picture.  I  thought that had been "fixed."  Odd.  I noticed a few other scratches
& smudges on the film, as well.

The sound on "Baba O'Riley" & "WGFA" seems diluted.  Echo on Roger's
vocals, Entwistle's beefiness toned down, Moonie's drums are very loud, though.
Pete's guitar is extremely low during "WGFA."  (I just have the stereo TV
set-up.)

As has been stated, the picture quality for these two songs is the best of the
entire film (apart from the "Who Are You" segment).  Is that John "Wiggy"
Wolf in the background during "WGFA" whom I had not noticed before?

The "Who Are You" segment sounds nice & crisp.  Roger's "Nearly!" is left
in & not edited out.  But much to my chagrin, in "WGFA," Roger's "Ya got
ta!!" after the "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is edited out (like
in the "Who's Better, Who's Best" video).  Poop.  I always liked that "Ya got
ta!!"

The "A Quick One" segment has the lights removed.  And the picture suffers
somewhat because they had to "blow up" the original frame in order to re-
move said lights.  That results in a somewhat blurry, unsharp picture.

The rest of the film looks OK for all its varying qualities.  It's nice to see it on
wide screen as I noticed things I hadn't seen before after years & years of
watching it on full-screen, cropped video.

As for extras, so far I watched the OX Cam & audio isolation for "WGFA"
& that was awesome.  I watched the Daltrey interview & that was fairly int-
eresting.  I watched the Jeff Stein interview & that was *very* interesting
(apart from his odd choice of a shirt!).  That guy's a trip.

I'm gonna dig through some more of the bonus features now.  Again, to sum
up, I was a bit underwhelmed with segments of the picture quality.  It seemed
too dark at times.  The menu screens are neat, though.  ;-)

All in all, I shouldn't complain.  It's decent enough.  Hell, it's fucking great.
It's THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT.  It's THE WHO!!

Grade:  A-

- SCHRADE in Akron