Re: Today Is The Day.....

Repost from altmusic.who regarding TKAA on DVD:

==========
Be ready. I mean be ready with the drinks and the food and the whatever
even before the FBI Warning, because if you miss that you'll miss
something that sets the film up perfectly. The movie looks and sounds
incredible...god almighty, the sound just jumps out of the speakers;
it's the closest I've ever been to the classic Who without actually
being there. John's bass is mixed way up, and it sounds magnificent.
When younger fans see this film they'll really understand, maybe for the
first time, why The Who's sound changes as much as it does when a band
member dies, and why us older fans lament the losses so much.

I don't care if we already have Tommy with the Isle Of Wight
movie/soundtrack and Live At Leeds...their Woodstock performance needs
to be given the same treatment as TKAA and released...they were pissed
off and on fire that night and gave one of the greatest peformances in
rock history. Both Moon and Townshend look like they are about to
explode, and they play like it. And their sound that night has more
balls than just about anything I've ever heard.

The same could be said for "A Quick One" (which has the flashing lights
around Keef, btw). Why JE thought the beginning would bore audiences
I'll never understand. (The real truth may lie elsewhere - Daltrey says
in his interview on the DVD that JAE was never satisfied with his bass
sound, and would re-record bass parts of his that were 15 years old.)
After Townshend's opening guitar work, the song doesn't just "start" in
the normal sense; it slaps you upside the head and doesn't let up...even
the pauses are so full of tension it's almost unbearable. Another great
moment in rock, presented (finally) in its full, LOUD, uncut glory. And
again, the sound...it's crystal, gut-wrenching clear. Before this
release, I'd never even noticed the audience clapping along, but they
actually provide an important part of the rhythm track for this song.

That's about all I want to say about the DVD for now, because I want
other fans to be as knocked out as I was. The special effects
stuff...interviews, different camera shots, etc., are all well-done and
are a lot of fun, as well as enlightening (I'd never even seen Jeff
Stein before tonight...well, I had seen him in the movie but didn't know
it was him), but the movie is the thing. It sounds great in stereo (with
4 speakers); I can just imagine how good it will sound in 5.1.
_____
Skeet

- SCHRADE in Akron

Nature does not deceive us; it is we who deceive ourselves.
	- Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1762)