Re: Mc tired of having opinion on post-John Who misconstrued

In a message dated 9/29/2003 1:18:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Sroundtable@xxxxxxx writes:
This having been stated, I stand by my belief that John's absence will not be
a significant detriment to ticket sales on an upcoming tour.  This is NOT
because I lack respect for his abilities
I believe you.  You're not "anti-John" nor is Scott or anyone else on the
list that I know of.  The point is about ticket sales and the general public that
buys them.  It isn't anti John of you to make a statement that sales won't be
affected that much by his absence.  Are *we*  affected by his absence?  Of
course!  But let's not confuse the issue.

The tickets will be expensive.  Why? Because TheWho is a big draw.  AND
because they play at smaller venues now than back in the seventies.  That is the
same with most bands, even current hit makers. Now concerts are at places that
hold less than 20 thousand, so the prices are much higher.  I used to go to
concerts at the Silverdome, which holds around 78,000 people! Less people are
attending shows in general.  This is probably due to  music being more accessible
through DVD's, VH1/MTV, The Internet, etc.  When I was a kid, the only way to
know what a band even looked like was to buy a magazine, look on the album
covers, or by seeing them in person.  Those were the days.  If something is
rare, it is more precious.  That's why the tours will sell less and less the more
they do it.  Now if they happen to get a major hit song on their hands, that
will change things, but that isn't likely to happen.  Just because a song isn't
a hit doesn't mean it isn't a great song though.  Pete makes great songs, so
I am excited.

Had Pete been the one who died, the band would've ended.  He's too important
to the show to ever replace.  I don't think anyone would refute that. So maybe
I will get a little anti John badge pinned on me with that statement.  But
I'll take it off, because I'm not.

Jon in Mi.