Will it Rock? and the importance of John...

In a message dated 9/23/03 12:56:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
schrade@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >Well, the album may still rock.  Just because the storyline seems dodgy
> doesn't mean
> >the songs will be lame or weak-sounding.  I can't see Daltrey allowing
> that.

It may not be likely, but I can see him allowing thatb& Itbs happened on
his
solo albums.  I think John was a big factor in keeping things "Rocking" even
when the others were not as inclined to do sob&

>>One strong song, released as the first single, will do wonders for the
sales. Let's just hope the CD has one strong song!

I agree, but I don't see Pete as the best judge of what will go over well
with the general rock audience at large.  I mean he picked "A Friend is a
Friend"
as the single to promote The Iron Man.  WTF???  There were two WHO songs on
that record as well as better Pete songs.  I remember seeing them play that
song at Tampa Stadium in 1989.  The momentum of the show kinda ground to a
halt.
(He then mumbled something in reference to the lack of success of the single
or album and said, "I don't blame it ALL on Floridab&")

Mark re:

>Mike:
>I don't think it matters what they do at this point. Hard, soft, it's all
irrelevent.

Why do you think it's all irrelevant?  Do you think ONLY the die-hards will
buy it, no matter what, or will it be a BIG DEAL no matter what?

Jo, re:

>As a rock fan, I have been to 4 Tom Petty shows over the past 20 years
> and I couldn't tell you the names of the other band members. Own 7
> albums of his, know a majority of his songs, don't know who plays or
> played bass on what.

Hmmmb& I guess we're just different that way.  I am a rather casual TP & the
HB
bs fan at best and can name all of them.  In fact, on the last tour, Ron
Blair, the original Heartbreakers bass player, was back after a long absence
and
he seemed to get an extra-big round of applause.

I think though, a band with one member singled out as the "star" ( i.e., any
band called "Somebody and the So-and-So's") will find it easier to replace a
member that a "band of equals" would.

And back to the Zeppelin example, honestly believe that a tour with Page,
Plant AND Jones, would be bigger than just Page & Plant.  Also, someone
mentioned
the fact that Bono and the Edge are more well known than Adam and Larry.  I
think that has more to do with their goofy names than with which instrument
they play.  More people know the name "Sid Vicious" than "Steve Jones..."

-Mike