Getting on The Who soapbox, for a moment

> Let's give it a chance first, can we?

Joe:

I never said I wasn't going to buy it. But if my fear of what it could be consumes me, I feel it's a valid thing to express on a Who discussion list. I mean, one thing I hate is everyone automatically falling in line and saying "Oh, it WILL be GREAT because it's THE WHO." As you say, we'll see. Face Dances comes to mind. And in the meantime, are we not going to talk about it until it comes out? "New York's a lonely town/When you're the only surfer boy around..." It wouldn't be a big surprise if the album didn't come out on schedule, would it? Haven't they in essence been making a new album for a few years now? Since 2000? I don't think they meant the Royal Albert Hall concert.

>You didn't *have* to object to that.

Kevin:

To mine own self I must be true. Or something like that.

> Who knows, maybe it was the crowd I was hangin' with at the time.

"cou-Bon Jovi-gh" Excuse me, I must be coming down with something.

> Yeah, the same thoughts have crossed my mind.

Great minds...never mind.

>BTW, I meant to reply to the Whofest 2004, but now can't find that post.
My sailing schedule can accommodate much.
My budget, time off from work, and family are a different matter.

Well, you need to bring your family To Whofest 2004 anyway. Tania and Ethan would LOVE MB, plenty to do here for everyone even if they're not a Who fan. It IS a resort, you know. That's why it's a perfect choice. We have music, we have several amusement parks, a beach of course (if you want to feel like the only soul in the word that's real), many many bars, more shopping than any sane individual could stand, and a lovely little spot called the Baba Center we can tour. And as anyone who came to the last one can tell you, that was the highlight of the Fest. You'll learn more about Pete Townshend's songwriting than you ever though possible. Oh, AND you actually get to see places where he worked out Lifehouse in 1970. Places where he sat and played the embryonic songs, and meet people who saw and heard it. The cabin he stayed in and wrote a song about (The Lantern Cabin, a bonus track on Who Came First).

> I bet he eats P(b)J for dinner.

I have. With soup and chips.

>Ugh. No! Yes, I'm uncomfortable, Mark!

(insert an evil laugh)

>How is this different?
Pete and Roger = The Who?
Paul and Ringo definitely didn't = The Beatles to me.

Right. Exactly. They had 20 years to make a new studio album with John Entwistle, and NOW they make one a year after he died. Makes sense to me...

> It was a slap in the face for me.

If I was in the new Indiana Jones movie, and I'm not saying I am or anything, I'd say "A wake up call from God."

> Tunnelvision.

Scott:

Isn't that a Foreigner song?

But I definitely agree with Kevin here. The Who are not just another Rock band like Tom Petty (whom I also like). The Who set a standard all other Rock bands must abide by, or at least aspire to. They were better performers than The Beatles, and more intellectual as far as content than anyone save possibly The Kinks. They leave all other bands from their era firmly in the dust. Bands who came after took from them, learned from them, tried to do the things they'd done (in their own manner). The Who were the single most influential band in the history of Rock Music. Rock Music today as a whole sounds more like The Who than any other band from the formative years, including Elvis and Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, Beatles Stones Kinks and you name it. People should know of John Entwistle as well as they know of George Harrison or Ringo Starr. After all, he was MORE important and influencial.

Cheers         ML

Please visit us on the web for frequently updated stock listings:
www.amazon.com/shops/mleaman2