Re: dillon/dylan

In a message dated 9/8/2003 12:29:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sroundtable@xxxxxxx writes:

> UGH!!  My bad.  I just realized it.  It was an oversight.  I did know it
> was Dylan.  Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> Mc

s'ok.    by the way, here's my conclusions to this whole KISS/ACDC thing.
first of all, those two bands are not "guilty pleasures" since most "cool
people" dig em.  a guilty pleasure is like barry manilow or John denver and i'm sure
you can agree, KISS and AC/DC don't belong in that category.   and you can't
really choose one out of that whole batch (including the who), it's hard for
some people including me. those bands are great in their own ways. in fact,
they did their own thing, that's what's great about them.   even though zeppelin
may look and/or act like a who clone, their music was a whole different story,
capturing some kinda mysterious underworld with amazing lyrical imagery and
some heavy guitar and drum riffs weren't too bad either (yes, the who did the
same thing but zeppelin was, I dunno, its hard to explain).  there's one thing
that should be pointed out though. as far as history is concerned (in my book
anyway), the who started everything that's hard rock today. punk, metal, they
started it.  in 1965, you couldn't get any more "punk" than "hope I die before
I get old" from "my generation". this would lead to many punk bands getting
together and who would often later credit the who as an influence (the ramones,
the clash, and even the infamous sex pistols). and of course they were the
first to do "instrument smashing" which some "punk" bands are doing to this very
day from nirvana to green day to "and you will know us by the trail of dead"
and to the "loveable" good charlotte. even early punkers the MC5 would take
the instrument smashing thing to the max.    now, in my mind, the first "metal"
song was "helter skelter" by the beatles, released on their white album in
1968 and was written after mccartney read townshend saying that he had written
the dirtiest, raunchiest song ever (which would be "I can see for miles") and it
inspired paul to write something "dirtier", and thus "helter skelter" was
born and so would later the controversey surrounding it, thanks to a lunatic mass
murderer charles manson. so, in a way, the who started "heavy metal" as well
and would also, in a way, start zeppelin when entwistle and keith moon were
jamming with Jimmy page and one of them suggested that Jimmy'd call the band
"Led zeppelin".    and so it goes, the who pretty much started the whole hard
rock trend.  but as far as picking them out of AC/DC, KISS and zeppelin, for some
people, it's quite difficult since they were all great originals in their own
ways. I hope this cleared some minds. ; )