Roger vs. Pete

I love Roger, but it is Pete that I can relate to.

Here Roger is, almost 60 years old and he is trying new things, traveling,
throwing himself into dangerous and physically challenging situations for the
History Channel show.  He must be one of those super positive people who doesn't
worry, doesn't regret, doesn't feel sorry for himself occasionally.  I can't
relate to that.

Thank goodness for Pete.  If he wasn't as tormented as me, as self loathing
as me, as self doubting as me, I probably wouldn't be a Who fan.  After all, it
is his lyrics that drew me and kept my stuck here for the better part of 3
decades.  At each stage of my life, his songs are applicable and go down to the
very depths of me, that place were you go when you are alone, emotionally.

I was reading Brian Cady's Who this Month, and was reading details on Keith's
death.  I have to admit, I hadn't heard an account with that much detail.
So, I started thinking about Keith's death, and then John's.  I started thinking
about substance abuse, which is a topic I ponder each day as it effects so
many people, right now my best friend is in rehab.  1/2 of the Who has ended
their lives too early because of substance abuse.

Why are we in so much pain, that we must cover up our feelings, alter our
state of mind, to deal with life??  Is it that this world has become such a
scary, uncomfortable, hateful place?  Or have people always turned to substances to
deal with their problems from the dawn of time?

Who's last?  Will Roger outlive Pete because of his healthy, happy go lucky
state of mind?  Will Pete relapse into substance abuse and meet the same end as
John and Keith?  Or will Roger have a horrible accident or an unseen illness
that takes him and Pete will be the one who is last?  Why am I even pondering
such things?

Jo :/