Re: What was Jeff Stein Thinking?

> I am puzzled by the fact that Quadrophenia is not represented in the
> film. What was Jeff Stein thinking? How could he leave out what many
> of us believe is The Who's finest work? I'm aware the band put a
> ....there is plenty of good Quad footage from later shows such as the
> Charlton show in '76.

Stein insists there wasn't any good QUAD footage available while he was
making the film.  Remember, he actually began work on the film around
'73 or '74, so by the time the Charlton '76 footage became available he
probably had enough material already (saving space for updated versions
of "Baba" & "WGFA").  Or alternately, it's possible Stein was never able
to secure the rights to any decent footage of QUAD.

> Or, it could have easily been taken care of at the Shepperton show
> which was staged in order to fill other musical holes in the film.

That's a legitimate argument.  Stein could've insisted they do a few
QUAD tracks at Kilburn or Shepperton.  But one gets the feeling, through
interviews, that Stein wasn't all that affected by the QUAD album; he
seems to place a much higher importance on WHO'S NEXT, TOMMY, & the
"singles era" Who.

> He fucked up by not including anything from Quad.

Nah, it's more an oddity or piece of trivia than a fuck-up.  I can't
say it diminishes the enjoyment of the film for me.  In a way, it helps
emphasize the lonely grandeur of QUAD by keeping it isolated in its own
realm of superiority. (?)  SELL OUT isn't musically represented either.

Stein has said it pained him to have to leave certain things out of the
film.  Something had to go.

> Happy Jack, Baba O'Reilly, The Seeker, WGFA are among the Who songs
> that have been licensed in the last couple of years by advertisers,
> movies and TV shows.

Speaking of that, I *finally* saw the "Happy Jack" Hummer TV ad this
weekend.  Everyone was correct: it *is* a cool commercial.

> Yet, "Going Mobile," the song with enormous commercial potential has
> been ignored. Don't you think this song is perfect for a car maker or
> cell phone company?

Sure, but give Pete time!  A different Who tune in a commercial every
other month might look a little.......greedy, yes?

- SCHRADE in Akron

Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science
makes skepticism a virtue.
     - Robert Merton, 1962