American Townshend

>>The person would have to be poet with an edge, with a twinge of tortured
>>artist, a man with a vision and also a seeker.

>Wow..that's interesting Jo, I can't even think of someone to compare with
>Pete. Maybe we would have to take it a step further and say a Hollywood
director
>or someone. Someone with lots of vision???   Sandy

Does make you scratch your head a little, doesn't it?  Paul Simon's name keeps
trying to pipe in, but that doesn't somehow work, does it?  Byrne, Dylan...
Johnny Cash?  Nah, not quite there.  The only one that works for me is still
ambiguous like anyone else I can think of and not even close to Pete in
"legendary" rock star status, but he's as close for me personally, than anyone
else.  Bob Mould, formerly of Husker Du and Sugar, writes songs and plays
guitar like Pete (while being brilliantly original) as close as any American
rock musician I can think of.  Very personal lyrics, clever power-pop
melodies, riveting guitar hooks, and a touch of angst below the surface of
all.  Not to mention, his early claim to fame, in the 80s, was playing ear
shattering guitar in a three instrument power trio.  He did a couple shows
with Pete around the time of Maryville I believe too as an opener.

But a huge, mainstream American artist?  That's tough.  Brian Wilson?  Too
eccentric.  Jimi Hendrix?  Elvis?  Kermit the Frog?  Keep scratchin'...

Now, a US film director, huh?  I cast my vote for Martin Scorsesse

Travis Bickle in Colorado