English vs. American

I was thinking and wondering this morning..........is there an American
equivalent to England's Pete Townshend?

Obviously there isn't an exact equal, but an American musician/songwriter who
is very similar to Pete in substance and demeanor, etc.

I asked myself the question after reading a quote from an Englishman
commenting on David Blaine's feat.  He used the word "farce" which sounded so Pete
Townshend, so English.  That made think about how the British speak so proper.

I am not an expert on the different dialects of the English, but I do notice
that Roger has more of a cockney or Londoner's accent, where Pete speaks more
of the Queen's English.  The words he uses, especially to a brash
Californian's ears, sound so much more, intelligent and important.  Could that me why his
lyrics are so deep and sensitive sounding?

That is what made me think, is there an American counterpart to Pete?  Or
would that be impossible?

Kurt Cobain?

Just thinking on my day off.......

Jo :)  <ouch......a thought, Eminem vs a young Pete??, yikes>