Re: Now & Then again; However Much I Booze

>Wow, Did Rush really say that?

Sandy:

He did indeed.

>I don't believe people who get themselves involved in taking drugs
should be sent up the river.

Nor do I. Otherwise, well...I'd be up that ol' river myself. I was merely doing my civic duty of pointing out where the man comes from, when he spews his hateful and fraudulent garbage. Typical of the mindset.

> I was immediately drawn to this song.

Kevin:

As was I. First listen that was already one of my favorite tracks. In fact, one of the songs which made me feel Psycho is his best solo album. I stand by that still, I love White City almost as much but Psycho is the one by which I'll set the standard.

>Everyone has the ability to make decisions, to remain loyal, to just say
"thank you but no", and *that's* the thing you can do about it.

Well, I don't know about that. I'm not saying one has to ACT on it, or should, but in my 28 years of marriage I've encountered four woman I could have fallen deeply and hopelessly in love with. Had I let myself, or had circumstances played out just a bit differently. So I can definitely relate to the "you can't do a thing about it" part of the song. We're not talking about a choice here. It's extremely persuasive. I'd say that sentiment is the truest thing IN the song.

>you know what he's talking about. It is the same as his admission in HMIB
when he said "There ain't no way out!"

Jon:

While I agree with you in regard to the first part of your post, I also feel the "no way out" is merely a state of mind one can find oneself in from time to time. But a few minutes, hours, days, weeks...later, it's apparent that there was a way out, and (hopefully) it was the path followed. The way I read that line, the entire song really, was that pressures had built up in Pete to the point where he felt trapped. Naturally using alcohol is not a viable solution for anything other than a snakebite, so even in the title he's defeated himself "However much I booze there ain't no way out." Perhaps to see the way out one should be sober?

>You just go and get Someone who can lift it.

I don't know...I see great merit in self reliance. The way I have always put it is: "Everyone who fails gives up at some point...if you never give up, you'll never fail." I notice your placing of the capital "S" there. Better watch out. My fellow superhero Sacreligious Scott is flying about in the Science-N-Technologymobile. "ZEE ZEE ZEE ZEE..."

Did Pete use Baba and/or spirituality to get through that period of his life? If anything, the evidence appears to show the opposite. He'd gone off Baba following during that time. I know...you'll say that's why he felt trapped, right?

"I feel like God wants me to run for president."
             George "Duh-Bya" Bush, 2000

                     Cheers         ML