Re: I Am Concorde

> I agree about the softness of PT solo work, but it worked with Empty
> Glass, Chinese Eyes and White City,

I'm not sure it has worked (if by "work" we mean success in sales).
As he releases new solo albums, Pete has seen a steady decline in sales
over the years.

> and after all the success of Tommy on Broadway, PT might be thinking
> he had returned to stardom and did an conceptual album without any care
> of consequences.

Well, I think PD was written before the success of TOMMY on Broadway.
The PD album got interrupted by Pete's bicycle accident.  He shelved the
whole project for a while.

Without a doubt, Pete felt the need to do something bigger with PD.  He
took a chance with the idea of combining a music album with a spoken play.
Obviously, the record-buying public wasn't as keen on the idea.  Even
Who/Pete fans weren't too keen on the idea as many of them preferred the
"music only" version.

> What happened? Lack of a careful listening by a reputed producer?
> Arrogance?

Hey, Pete took a chance.  What can you say?  He took a chance with TOMMY
in making it a "rock opera."  He took another chance with QUAD.  He took
a chance with LIFEHOUSE, even if it never fully succeeded as a Who proj-
ect.  The guy takes chances.  Rolls the dice.

> That PD with dialogues was tragical, simply because they disturb the
> whole thing, they suck...

I'm sure Pete got the point when he saw the dismal sales figures.  But I
don't think there's anything "tragic" about wanting to merge music albums
with theater.  It's a noble idea.  One that might one day succeed in
some other variation.  Maybe then, people will look back on PD as an im-
portant "first step" in the genre.  Maybe not.

> But Now and Then isn't gay, come on! That's not true, absolutely!

OK, OK.  It's not gay.  I just don't dig it.

> And the high treble voice singing "now and then you see a soul and you
> fall in love, you can't do a thing about it" acts as a melody in
> counterpoint playing by a piano - I think it is inventive and beautiful,

I understand.  There *must* be something to the song as many people seem
to enjoy it.  I just happen not to like it.  I do like other softer Pete
solo songs, such as "And I Moved," "I Am An Animal," "Let My Love Open the
Door," "Slit Skirts," "Brooklyn Kids," "Hiding Out," "The Shout,"......
the list could go on.  But I also hate such gems as "A Little Is Enough"
& "The Sea Refuses No River."  I like what I like.  I am what I am & what
I am is a man.  (P.E. in full effect, brutha.)

> but gay, you are blasting, you chauvinist boy

I am blasting, you're right.  I gotta stop blasting.  Blast me & my damn
blasting!

> (did you remind of Erasure, or something, when you listen the song for
> the first time?)

Ha!  No!  More like the Bronski Beat!!  ;-o

- SCHRADE in Akron

Religion is the science of former times, dried out & turned to dogma;
it is only the husk of an outdated scientific explanation.
	- Roger Martin du Gard