Re: Now and Then

Scott writes:

> The message & subject matter are fine; I don't have a problem with
> those.  It's true:  every now & then you *can* fall in love almost
> instantly.  I just don't like the meandering, loopy melody.

... the sappy, wimpiness of
> "Now & Then."

These are the EXACT reasons I don't like it, yet I was labelled a music cretin, or Philistine, if you will, for posting it.  I find it dreary and sappy, just as Scott does.  My distaste for it has zero to do with the lyrics.  I love Petty's Free Fallin lyrics, too, but after hearing it on the radio and elsewhere ad nauseum, I can't stand the song because of the melody.  I suppose I will be scolded for daring to use a Tom Petty analogy for some conviluted reason, but it is the clearest example I can think of.

Softer Pete songs like Heart to Hang Onto, Blue Red and Grey, BBE, Tommy Can You Hear Me, It's A Boy, 1921, and Cut My Hair are songs I love to listen to when I'm in the right mood.

Mc

Mc