Re: How small to slice the pie and Rog's voice

> >True, his voice was not up to par at CFNYC, at least after Who are You (in which I thought he sounded great).
>
> Mc:
>
> I've already admitted that in the venue his voice sounds better than the record later shows it to be. That much was true as far back as 1989, when I got my first boot of a show I'd been to. Raving about his voice, I was...then I heard the tape. Here I'm talking about the un-tarted up video of them playing live.

That is what I was talking about, as well.  To be honest, at CFNY one could only get sort of bits and pieces of Roger due to the crowd singing along so aggressively, but on the video and the CD I acknowledged that he was sub-par, after Who are You.  Just as most things, the video/recording of the event is never quite as good or as bad as one originally thinks having been there.  My point was that his 2002 tour voice was, IMHO, noticeably better than CFNYC and 2000 Tour based on the videos and recordings I have listened to.  You also got me to watch the 96 Quad video clip of LROM I have on computer, and I think Roger sounds terrible compared to the CDs and video I have from the same song in 2002.

> >Well, I can't judge because I have never been to an Aerosmith concert nor do I have any albums.
>
> But...I'm not talking about the music itself. I'm talking about their behavior of cashing in on their past. Lately by hiring songwriters to make "Aerosmith" songs.

I wasn't aware of that.  However, I have commented before on their "selling out" a long time ago, especially after their career was resurrected by Run DMC.  They are a cabaret act now, but still probably worth seeing live.  They are not in the same league w/the Who because of this (and other factors).

> > You'd have to talk to an Aerosmith officionado (sp?) to judge their "spirit." I think the Who's spirit transcends the individual members, IMHO.
>
> Even when there's less of them? How small do we slice the pie before someone's going to admit it's no longer a "pie,"
> but just a slice of what used to be a pie?

Yes, even when there are less of them.  The spirit is either there or it isn't.  It isn't tangible, but I think most of us could tell if it was there or not regardless of which member was on stage.  I think most people attending the 2002 Tour would agree that the spirit lives in Pete and Roger's passion and heart.  Hell, if they tour next year the spirit might be gone even w/Pete and Roger, because their passion and heart may no longer remain.  Only time will tell.

Mc