From: Oust_the_pretender <bushchoked@xxxxxxxxx>
To: TheWho@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Half a Who; half a grasp of the concept
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:39:59 -0700 (PDT)

>Pete Townshend playing electric guitar, even at his age, is
no fairy tale, my friend. It's very real & very exciting.

Scott:

True. Pretending Pete live is The Who, though, is a fairy tale, compadre.

>Well, Mark, now that you mention it, I actually prefer both YBYB and ATD over all but one song from Psycho-D

Mc:

Well, that's just sad. Now And Then is one of the greatest, most revealing and moving songs Pete has ever written. For instance. And, apparently, you are unable to appreciate it...according to you, you'd prefer "I just like your nose..." over "Now and then you meet a soul, and you fall in love, you can't do a thing about it..." Perhaps it's different when you've actually experienced feelings like that...I don't know. Early Morning Dreams...I Am Afraid...these are songs of deep feelings. "Rocking out" is fine, but if that's ALL you want out of a band then I suggest Bad Company instead of The Who.

And I'm not going to even bother to mention Did You Steal My Money, which could be Townshend's abosolute WORST song. Unless you count How Do You Do It Alone, that is...and Cashe Cashe is a real winner, too. And I'd be hard pressed to say YBYB rocks even in the live versions. It's Pop.

>the Cowboys and the Pittsburg Steelers, and using the 71 Steelers and the 93

No, sorry, no sports comparison could ever touch a Who/Townshend comparison. Sports are fleeting, meaningless (unless you are a participant). Townshend's music is Art, timeless, moving, powerful, subtle. The Cowboys and Steelers, let's face it, are about as subtle as a flying mallet. A bunch of big guys running back and forth on a field throwing a ball, and then doing it again next week. Wowie zowie. I'm impressed. (yawn) The next time you feel like watching a football game, why not try reading Lord Of The Rings instead? It would do you good.

> It's ridiculous to take the best of one and the worst of another and claim it's a fair comparison.

I agree that comparing two football teams to The Who and Pete Townshend's music is completely and utterly ridiculous.

>like Who songs (shit, what does?).

I suggest Kiss, then. They always "rock." Or maybe Motley Crue. Van Halen. Rick Springfield (ha ha). You're looking in the wrong place, with The Who. BBE, for instance, isn't a great song because "it rocks." Nor is I'm Free. Or Bargain. Or I'm One. And so on, and so forth.

From now on I'll only be able to picture you at a concert with hand raised in the "devil horns" sign and shouting excitedly to your friends how "The Who ROCK! They're the BEST because they ROCK! EX-CELL-ENT!" (playing air guitar)

> Let's compare Quadrophenia to Psycho-D if you want a fair comparison.

I'd be happy to. Both are great works. Face Dances remains one of The Who's worst albums. White City is also better than FD. And Empty Glass. And Chinese Eyes. Grasp the concept?

Cheers ML

Please visit Generations on the web for frequently updated CD listings:
http://www.amazon.com/shops/mleaman2

MSN Messenger: converse com os seus amigos online. http://messenger.msn.com.br