Tribute to The Ox

Do you ever listen to Who songs and follow John's bass line only?  I do.  It
is so damn good.  So pure.

John's birthday is coming up, October 9th.  Leading up to this date, a friend
and I have really been moved lately to celebrate his life.

"Everybody calls me the quiet one......", but yet we are blown away by his
powerful, booming thunder  What a dynamic man and musician he was.  He was the
eye of the hurricane and held his own amongst three of the world's most
untamed, unique and extraordinary entertainers.

Our beloved John Entwistle is undisputedly the best bass player that ever
lived.  In fact, he was honored with the "Best Bass Player of the Millennium."
What a gift he gave to us.  I say "our beloved John Entwistle" because John
was all about performing for his fans.  Plus, he loved to be on the road.  He
was happiest on the road.  So, it is somewhat befitting that he also died on the
road.

I know there are many on the list that have shared their stories of meeting
John, getting a photo or autograph.  He was very generous and genuine. He posed
for many photographs with fans and was quick to give an autograph.  He was an
approachable man, that cared about his fans.

The bass player in any band is usually understated.  But, in John's case it
is different.  He was the anchor in The Who.  No one could fill the spaces of
songs the way John did.  He was the best at what he did.  Not just a bass
player, but more accurately a bass guitarist.

That was again very apparent when he went on to form his own band, the John
Entwistle Band.  If you loved John's music, you loved JEB.  When you put in
their CD, you'd better know where the volume button is.  That is how John liked
it, loud and louder!

John was not a perfect saint, however he had a true and generous heart of
gold.   He was involved to help Roger out with the Teenage Cancer Fund and more
recently a charity that has been set up in his name, the "John Entwistle
Foundation."  When any of his things go up for sale or they have some type of
concerts and so on, the money will go to the charities John had been into.  Even
now, he is still supporting charities due to the fact that he was a pack rat and
had enormous collections of guitars, artwork and other valuable items that are
being auctioned off.

Not everyone can understand or appreciate his dark and cynical sense of
humor, but that was part of what made John who he was.  He was the master of the
macabre.  His music especially reflected that side of him.  His fascination with
all things dark and their symbols showed up in everything he did.

No one will ever be able to replace John.  I pity the person or people whose
task it is to try fill his shoes.  But, his dark musical and magical talent is
preserved in the hearts and memories of all who loved him.  So, this year, on
his birthday, let's put on John's music.  Let's remember him and honor him
and let's turn it up loud.  The Ox would want it that way.

God, I miss him.  Thank you John, for the gift you have given us in your
legend and your music.

Johanna