Re: Half a whole; Who's Left

>Ha. Do you really think that I meant that Toronto (II) in '82 was as good as
The Young Vic in '71?

Jon:

No, I was just making the point that no matter how excited people are about seeing Who's Left at this point, they're settling and there's no use in pretending otherwise. As for Pete, I'd rather see him solo. Like Joe, I'd like to see him tackle a more complete Psychoderelict. Or a new album!

>standard for any band ever in the entire history of rock. That can't be sustained, however.

But (to use another analogy) if a car built to go 100 is going 25, then it's time to get a new car.

>Thank you. I didn't have the strength to write that, yet again, and again,
and again.

Kevin:

You could always write: (knock knock knock) "Hell-OH! McFLY!"

>Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Damn.

Yeah, well...what can you do?

>She doesn't like *any* who songs at all?

No, a DJ tried playing Heat Wave once at a party, but she immediately identified it as The Who and turned to me with the angry face. I thought I could get away with it, because she likes the original.

> Baahahahahah! Oh man, that's good.

Yeah, I thought that was funny as well. But seeing John didn't bother her as much as Todd Rundgren, who apparently was wearing rather transparent trousers (I didn't notice). "It's just not right, DAD!" He's looking pretty old these days, too.

>Can she at the minimum admit he was talented?
Can she at least step back and see the majesty?

Not for a second.

> Wait, this is a 'no pity party' zone. Wipe off that boo-boo face.

I thought we agreed this would be a "boo boo-free zone," Yogi. Mr. Ranger isn't going to like that.

> So, then, let me understand this.
You'll go to the venue. You'll hang out in the parking lot with us. You'll
drink my beer. You'll smoke 'all of my stuff'. You'll wear your Who "W"
shirt.

OK, except for the beer (I drink Gin and will bring my own), and as for the "stuff" it would depend on whether I drove or flew. Clearly taking "stuff" into an airport THESE days would be completely foolish. And I'm bound to get searched, since I don't look in the least bit Arabic.

>BUT! But, when we then go into the venue, you'll turn and go to your car
and drive home, instead of going to hear some great music and see the
greatest guitarist around play his ass off?

No, I'd hang somewhere and party some more after the show. I mean, if that's OK.

>You'll pass on seeing Roger march around the stage?

Seen it.

> You'll pass on sharing the experience, what ever it may be, with the rest of
us?

Have you been taking guilt lessons from my mother? Not doing that would be the hardest part.

> Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a political statement.

Weeeellll...you know, I HAVE been known to be a bit political...

>A formal protest, if you will.
If so, then why not go the logical step further and picket at the front gate
instead of going home?

Because I'm involved in higher issues at present. Like saving the country from the money-mongers' greed, complete disregard for the citizens and total lack of remorse.

>He took his Who/Pete anger and left the sandbox.
You think he's hiding in fear?

I think he's watching TKAA, somewhere.

>That of course they're diminished from their prime. Roger's voice isn't
what it was.

Not nearly.

> But, it's still quite good. Damn good, if I may say so.

(mumble mumble)

>And, actually, I'd argue that Pete's guitar playing is *better* than it was.

I'd agree with you there. But it's like a table with one and a half legs. You can say what you want about Daltrey, but his voice diminished even between 2000 and 2002. I love the guy, but you can't scream like that forever. No one can. He made it a lot longer than anyone else.

>His talent is definitely better. Oh, yeah, well perhaps he can't jump as

And you know me better than to think I could give a monkey's about the jumping or the windmilling.

>John won't be replaced, but hopefully there will be a bassist that will do

Tony Bulter would be great, but the thing is he'd be trying to replace. I say strike out in an entirely new direction. Things have changed...time to move on...no reason to cling to the past, let it rest in peace. Leave a beautiful statement. You know, I guess the heart of it for me is what Pete said (consistantly, thank you very much Scott) is that Rock was more than just the music. In the movie Almost Famous, Jason Lee says that Pete Townshend could save the world with Rock music. OK, so the evil ones are just too damned evil and enough people weren't willing to do what is right, or are just downright greedy. So it never got saved. Doesn't mean there isn't still a few of us out here trying to save it. Let the Who's music stand as a symbol, and not turn it into a ATM machine for whoever owns the rights to the name.

>I keep coming back to Jo's sex analogy.

You would.

>She was close, but not quite on.

She was close to necrophilia, that's for sure.

>What she should have said is....will you stop making love to your wife
(anyone with their own wife, sorry, I'm not trying to make this personal or
anything like that), as you get older? She's likely diminished from her
prime in her late 20's.

Still not a good analogy, because you know I'd see them if John was still there. So more accurately we'd be talking about a wife (husband, whatever) who  is going through the motions because it's expected.

>The solution???

The solution: honor the memory and move on.

>A compromise.
They should tour and produce a new album under the name of Who's Left.
It avoids the name of The Who.
Still uses the "mantle" and aura of The Who.
While showing respect to John and Keith by changing the name slightly.

Well, I agree about the name of course. I think it would appeal to John's sense of humor. Although not for the reasons you state, but because it resets the expectations to a more realistic place AND allows them to revisit the older material. This is what I've called for all along.

>God made plastic surgeons for, correct?

Jo:

Reminds me when a few customers in my store were talking about Britney Spears, a woman sniffed and said "They're fake." I replied with a grin "You really think that matters?"

> Wacky, egotistical, macho kid.

Kevin:

Someone completely and clearly unfit for the job. Well, I guess they figured if they could choose a president that way, why not?

>I'm not really sure why there is such a big deal over whether or not
Roger and Pete should keep the name "The Who"? When sports teams
change players year after year and keep their names.

Denise:

Because I consider Art more important than Sports. Sports is mere entertainment. The Who have always been more than that. If one is looking for entertainment, then Bachman Turner or Journey or Kiss or Kansas etc. will do just fine.

> Mick and Keith still call their band "The Stones" even though they don't have

Again, I feel The Who are on a 1000 miles higher level than the Stones. So I guess it boils down to "Art vs Entertainment." A tour calling themselves The Who is like Dylan covering Free Bird.