Re: Half a whole

In a message dated 10/4/2003 12:26:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bushchoked@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>these so-called diminished years.

LAL vs Join Together. Or Tornoto 1982. Albert Hall. Or ANY of the Encore
shows, I don't care. Point made. I've seen shows, too, you know.

>Ibash gig./ Blues to the Bush.

>vs LAL. Or Fillmore East. Or Young Vic. Or the live stuff on the remixed
WBN. ANY number of bootlegs. The footage on TKAA movie. Point made. You don't
want to admit they've diminished? I will. I'm honest about it.

Ha.  Do you really think that I meant that Toronto (II) in '82 was as good as
The Young Vic in '71?
The point in my  post was about Pete himself, even though it was in the
context of the band.  Not the band. Sorry if I wasn't clear. *Of course* Live at
Leeds was better than this later period.  They were shit hot and set the
standard for any band ever in the entire history of rock.  That can't be sustained,
however. Just like you can't keep your accelerator floored.  Sooner or later
something is going to break, and it did. 10 years of that was sheer phenomenon.

Yes, they've diminished.  We all diminish.  But even in their diminished
state they still beat the others.  In 2002 I stood right in front of Pete and saw
the fingerprints on his guitar as he wailed on Sparks on electric. It was
real.  My 13 yr. old son looked at me and shook his head in disbelief and Pete
shot him a nod.  He saw Pete Townshend in TheWho.  I ain't gonna tell him it
wasn't. Pete was banging, slashing, jumping, windmilling, sweating, spitting,
giving it all he had. Pete was rocking his ass off.  He knows what The Who is.  He
created it. They weren't shaming their legacy.  Their bass player just died
and they were fighting to live. Soon they will be gone.

Jon in Mi.