Re: Daltrey On Stern

> Anyone have anything else????

I do!  I do!  (OK, I'm settled.)

Yeah, I'm driving to work, I turn on Stern (I was gonna play a CD instead
but decided to see if Howard had a good segment going), he's taking calls,
& then all of a sudden I hear the words "Roger Daltrey will be here in a
minute."  <gasp!>  Stunned, instantly.  Holy shit, I'm thinking, I didn't
know Daltrey was scheduled to be on Stern!  Lucky me!

Daltrey walks into the studio to the sound of a live WGFA & immediately
Howard is like, "You cut your hair!  Why you'd do that?!"  Apparently,
Howard forgot he saw Daltrey with short hair on the 2000 tour.  Daltrey
hadn't been on Howard's show since around '94, I believe.

Howard's like, "Why'd you do it?  *I've* still got long hair!"  "Yeah,
well you're ugly," Daltrey hit back!  ;-o  Howard's like, "You're right.
I appreciate your honesty.  My long hair does hide a lot of my ugly face."

Howard then starts asking Roger about other bands & artists.  Roger made
fun of the recent Paul McCartney tour saying only Paul could turn good
Beatles songs into "swing music."  Howard protested, saying he loved Paul's
last tour, but again he said he admired Roger's honesty.

Roger still respects the Stones.  Still respects Bowie.  Doesn't much care
for AC/DC (Ha!  Sorry, Mc!) but thinks their singer is a cool funny dude.

Howard then lambasted Roger for constantly telling fans that The Who were
doing farewell tours (here we go again).  Roger, of course, tried to ex-
plain but Howard & Robin (and Baba Booey!) would have none of it!  All in
good humor, though.  Howard said the next time they say it's a farewell
tour they should put an asterisk after it!

Then Howard said, "Boy, you really stuck by your guy Pete during that whole
pedophile thing."  "Yeah, unlike *you,* Howard," Roger retorted!  Roger
then launched into a well-spoken defense of Pete saying Pete was naive at
worst & Howard & Robin both seemed to accept it, although they said Pete
needs to be out on the road & not engaging in these little personal cru-
sades in his free time.  "Who is he trying to be?  Inspector Pete," Howard
asked?

Then Howard said he admired Roger for being honest about his cheating
& letting his wife knows that it happens.  He admired their open relation-
ship.  Blah, blah, blah,....they talked about that for a while.

Then, onto the History Channel promotion.  Blah, blah, blah,....

Big Black called in & said he enjoyed Roger on.....Witchblade, was it?
Mary-Anne from Brooklyn called in & said she was looking forward to this
interview until Roger called Howard ugly.  She said Roger wasn't that good
looking anymore, either!  Again, all in good humor.  She then sang "Roger,
can you hear me?" in that grating voice of hers!

Chauncy Hadin (sp?) called in & again brought up the farewell tour argu-
ment (ugh!).  Baba Booey came into the studio & said, "I saw The Who do
the farewell performance of TOMMY at Radio City" - as if that bolstered
the argument.  "Well," Roger said, "that *was* the last time we played
TOMMY!"

Oh, Chauncy Hadin also said that Roger had a large tumor (!) removed from
his stomach about five years ago & that Roger had it for a long time &
did nothing about it & that it could've burst & killed him!  And Roger
said that story was completely true!  "How did you know that," Roger asked
Chauncy?

Then K.C. (big Who fan) came into the studio & asked Roger why he refused
to sing "Rough Boys" & Roger said that was a song that dealt with a side
of Pete he wasn't comfortable with & it wasn't "him."  Roger also said
Pete wrote the song for him!

Yeah, then, when they were wrapping it up, Howard said to tell Pete "Hi"
& Robin said, "Yeah, we're in Pete's camp now.  We weren't sure for a
while, but we're in his camp now."

And so it ended.  Roger also praised Pete's songwriting (of course) & said
they would be making a new album & touring next year.  Then, interestingly,
he said if they don't tour next year, they'll definitely tour in 2005.
Hmmmm....is Pete starting to get cold feet?

- SCHRADE in Akron

Nature does not deceive us; it is we who deceive ourselves.
	- Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1762)