Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #293

A little bit of this and a little bit of that...

I have been lurking lately, so forgive me if my comments seem out of touch.

1) I rejoice every time I hear about a Who-type tour, be it Roger, Pete, or
any combination thereof. I would go no matter what they called themselves (as
would all of you probably) but if they don't call themselves The Who,
attendance will be sparse, and then what would be the point. I saw "Daltrey Sings
Townshend" in '94 (I think that was '94) and it was absolutely fantastic! Better
than when I saw them in '79, '82, and '89, even though Pete wasn't there! Simon
was like Pete Junior, jumping around and acting crazed, plus they had Zak.
However, the place was half empty, and it was a pity. Which leads me to ...

2) Unfortunately, I guess Scott is right about Cleveland. I seem to be one of
the only Who-o-philes left around here. I've got a buddy in Richfield who's
kids are absolute Who-freaks, but that's about it for the upcoming generation.
I actually had tickets for that cancelled '02 show, but the official line was
that there was a "scheduling conflict". I think, in reality, that the show got
scheduled so late, that every fan from Cleveland got tickets to Columbus. If
they are like me, their significant others probably told them that they
weren't allowed to go to both shows. I said "okay" and bought the tickets anyway!
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Pete actually broke his wrist
before that 2000 show, but fractured his hand just below the wrist. I don't
think anyone, even Pete, could play PW with a broken wrist!

3) After hearing the "All Bass" version of WGFA on the new DVD (by the way,
can you imagine how boring it would be sitting through over 8 minutes of only
bass if you were listening to someone besides John?), I am more convinced than
ever that Pino must be replaced. He was great on tour, but he had a template
for what he should be playing. They've got to have a real creative presence for
the album. Pino is right now on the Simon & Garfunkel tour I think, so maybe
he won't even be available.

-Chris in Cleveland (at least we have LeBron)