Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #290

Re: Drawing the line

Coming out lurk mode - creaking my way back into the light (oooh - my eyes!):

I've been following this debate with interest. Many years ago, I met a woman who had seen The Who several times down the Goldhawk, circa 1964 / 65. I was then in my teens, and FULL of Who-fan pep. She was very sweet, and nodded politely as I raved on about how great they were - this was then the late 70s. Then she said it: "Yes, I'm sure they're good NOW, but back THEN - they were GREAT..."

I was dumbfounded.

She was by this time a married woman, mother etc etc, into her late 30s, maybe 40s (my God, she seemed OLD to me... THEN). And she made the point that, for her, there was no point in "going back" to see a band who HAD meant so much during her own Mod youth.

In other words, she had "drawn the line". For her, that line came around 1966/67 - certainly before "Tommy".

For many (particularly I suspect in the US), "the line" comes sometime later - maybe around "Quadrophenia", maybe after the 76 tour, maybe after Moon's sad and tragic death.

For ME - well, "Who's Next" was the start, "Quadrophenia" the epiphany, and December 23rd 1975 at the Hammersmith Odeon THE great live moment.

If I'm honest, all I've been doing since is seeking a ripple, an echo of the energy and the transformational power of that night. Even Charlton 76 was a slight slip down from that pinnacle.

Again, if I'm honest, a line was drawn in my soul after Keith died. I've seen The Who live many times since - and NEVER once have I been left disappointed - but it's never been quite the same.

It's been great, it's been renewing and life-affirming - but never quite as transcendant as that night at Hammersmith.

I felt personally hurt and let down by "Face Dances" and particularly "It's Hard", but I recognised that even though the forward motion, the life-force of the band, had slowed or stopped, it was well worth staying in touch.

There've been some great, great times as a result. "Quad" at Hyde Park (and again at Wembley and Manchester), Shepherds Bush Empire, the 2000 gigs, the Albert Hall etc etc.

And that's without getting into the Pete solo stuff...

So, when JAE died - it was awful, it was sad and all that - but for me, the line had already been crossed.

I don't really care one way or the other whether Pete and Roger go out next year as The Who or the DTs or the Band Which Has The Bare-faced Temerity To Call Itself The Who. It's Pete, it's Rog, it's well worth seeing.

But The Who, the band which re-arranged the furniture of my brain and my soul? That band died a looooong time ago.

Rock is dead they say - Long Live Rock...

Simon Malia (heading back to the safety of the stygian depths of my own personal swamp. Each to their own sewage, eh?)

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com