To hell with what they think.

>From: JOELTLE515@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Real Good Looking Boy?
>
>pete has mentioned this song before the pedophile thing even happened.  he
>wrote it about elvis.

Yeah, I remember that.
But, it's still the *first* new Who song recorded.
The irony is thick.

Here are some of the reactions I got over the weekend.

My wife:
Me- "Hey, Pete posted on his web site that he and Roger had recorded a new song!"
wife- "Cool.  What's it called?"
Me- <straight face> "A Really Good Looking Boy."
Wife- <dumbfounded expression> "You're kidding."
Me- <a bit of a grin> "Nope."
Wife- "Come on, you're kidding, right?"
Me- <chuckling> "Nope."
Wife- "Well *that's* not an uncontroversial title!  You got to be kidding me?"

My friend Julia (a Who fan, and damn good bassist for local band that opened for Fishbone a few weeks ago....and I missed it!  Looove Fishbone...and Julia's band):
me-(we're at a town breakfast) "Hey, let me change the subject to The Who for a moment."
Jules- <typical expression of 'here we go'> "What now?"
me - Pete wrote in a diary that he and Rog and the rest of the band with Greg Lake at bass recorded a new who album."
Jules- "No way!  Well, that's cool.  Greg Lake on bass?  Hmmmmmmm?"
me - "Yeah, the song's title is 'A Really Good Looking Boy'."
Jules- <glaring at me in dumbfounded amazement> "You...have....got....to...be...kidding me."
me - Nope.
Jules - "What?  Why?"
Me- "Yep."
Jules - "That makes no sense.  Why attract attention to the issue?  Where the hell is their management???!  <completely lacking any understanding>

Julia's Husband, Jeff:
Jeff-<in another conversation, and now focusing on what all the hub-bub was about> What?
Jules- "The Who recorded a new song, and it's called "A Really Good Looking Boy."
Jeff - <expression of 'that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard> "Oh my God. Why the fuck do that?>
Me - <feeling like I should defend> "It's a song about Elvis."
Jeff - "Suuuuure it is.  But, so what.  That's just not a smart thing to do right now."

There you have it.
3 for 3.
What could I say?

To be clear...
I feel very bad for Pete.
Here is a project that has been a long time in the making.  Something I'm sure he feels very strong about, and unfortunately, given the current situation, it will unfairly be ridiculed.
It's like having 2 strikes against it before it even hits the shelves.

I, for one, am bracing for what the larger public reaction will be once it becomes well known.
Guess, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

>From: SicilianMother@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Real Good Looking Boy?
>
>I'll use my best girlfriend for an example.  I know she isn't perfect, I
>won't argue that she is.
>But, if someone puts her down, I am going to stand by her and stick up for
>her.

Loyalty, to me, is one of the most important attributes.  So, yes, we have that in common.
But, no one here has been putting Pete down.
I think it would help to simply realize that we're looking at the whole situation from a strictly objective view.
There's been nothing personal levied at Pete.

If someone writes "Pete's a fucking......bla, bla, bla.", I'll be the first to come to his defense.

Kevin in VT