Silence Day Revisited....

I had an old Browser instance open to Pete's diary pages.   I originally
was remarking at the frequency of his posts in October - 3 of them.
The 10th, 17th and 29th.  So I'm hopeful that we'll get a few more.  Their
the version of The Who 45 RPM record for me.    I really appreciate them.

Especially this one. I think a re-read is useful for reorientation.

Joe in Philly
--------------------

http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=48&zone=diary

Silence Day
Silence Day

For the followers of the Indian Master Meher Baba today is an important day - it is the anniversary of the beginning in 1925 of the Avatar's life of complete silence. Silence is what I would like for a while - but it seems impossible.

I don't want to pick a fight with any British newspaper, but some of them are starting to make things up. This year has been a tough one for me, but contrary to what one British tabloid wrote yesterday, I am not depressed, my neighbours are not abusing me - far from it, they go out of their way to show me warmth and understanding - and I have not received death threats. I have a driver who acts as a kind of bodyguard and I have a night security man - but I always have. No change there.

I walk freely in my town, I eat in local restaurants and everyone is very good to me. I take what happened to me very seriously indeed, and I hate the idea that anyone might believe my intentions were criminal, but I do believe great good has come out of it all.

One message I want to send. I know I am not above the law, but the law on the access of indecent images on the internet was changed in this country AFTER I did my research. While doing research I knew the law. I was not breaking it. I'm not stating this to make an excuse. But surely anyone can see if that is a fact, and it is, why would I be ashamed of the subsequent due process of law acting against me?

But I am deeply sorry for the trouble and pain I've caused: even the investigating officer (in Texas) who first found my name on a porn site database was a Who fan, and was saddened.

But I am not sad. I am out of the war against child-porn, but the war continues and that is what matters.

I'm happy, strong, sober, humbled and for the rest of the day I'll try to stay silent.