TKAA Thought

Most people seem to think that when Tommy Smothers gives his "And over
here, the guy that plays the sloppy drums...." introduction of Keith
at the beginning of the TKAA movie he is making a crack about Moon's
playing style.  I think Jeff Stein has even mentioned this in that light.

I used to think so too, but it occurred to me a few years ago that
in fact what Tommy Smothers is referring to is Moon's *drum set,* part
of which (the cymbal & stand) had fallen off the drum riser during
"I Can See For Miles" - the song mimed before "My Generation."

This would be the same cymbal & stand that Tommy Smothers himself picks
up & gives to Moon as the movie opens ("Where do you want it?"  "Right
here.  They look after us on this show.")

So, that's what I believe spawned Tommy Smothers' "sloppy drums" statement.
It wasn't a dig on Moon's style.  It was a joke about the tendency for
parts of his drums to get knocked about.

However, it doesn't look like Moon takes the comment in that context
when it's delivered.  He probably thought it was a crack on his playing.
And so did I for a long time.

- SCHRADE in Akron