Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #323

> Scott, what is it you are trying to say? Maybe we can sift through all
> the haystack and find the needle or diamond here.

The "needle or diamond" is that we all dig Pete Townshend big time.  The
rest of the "hay" is a lingering argument about Pete's responsibility
in, and handling of, the pedophile accusation.

The thought of deity-worship makes me sick & disgusted with the human
race, & to see Pete deified & made out to be the *victim* of his circum-
stances drives me up the f-ing wall.

We're living in the 21 Century & there are people on this list who believe
Pete's pedophile mess was caused by "The Devil."  That horrifies me.

With all that said, I apologize to you, Sue, & everyone else, for my sar-
castic rant yesterday.  I sometimes go way over the top & become venomous.
I'm sorry.

> it doesn't make any difference in my consideration of his talent.

Nor with me.  I enjoy Pete's music now just as much as I always have.  And
I will shower him with money & praise until either he dies or I die.  But
I refuse to envision him with a crown of thorns on his head.

> If he is guilty, the authorities will let everyone know,

He was found guilty of accessing an illegal child porn site.

> and he will pay for his crime.

He is paying now.  He has to register as a sex offender for the next five
years.

> Also, someone mentioned that they really thought alot about "Eminent
> Front". Maybe whoever that was can enlighten me about that possibility,
> cuz I personally think that that is probably the Who's worst creation.
> What do you see in it that I don't?  What is an eminent front anyway?

The song is entitled "Eminence Front."  The word "eminence" is a noun mean-
ing, in this case, "high status importance owing to marked superiority."

The song is about mundane & ignorant people who put on an air of importance
& superiority.  Fakes.  Regular, or even lowly, people who "hide behind"
a fake "front."  They hide behind their "eminence front."  It's just a put-
on.

- SCHRADE in Akron