Baba O'Blue Man Group

Nice Who moment this weekend...

For those of you who never heard of Blue Man Group, it is a show unlike
anything you've ever seen.  A musical/visual extravaganza; strange
performance art and high octane percussion driven rock music makes it a
worthwhile experience.  Very unique and very entertaining.  But
anyway...

The band consisted of a traditional setup:  bass, two guitars and
keyboards.  But, the percussion "section" was huge.  Four
drummers/percussionists and the three Blue Men themselves banging away
on their unique percussion kits, make for a HEAVY sound.  Halfway
through the show, I thought to myself, a Who cover would be appropriate
with all of those drummers, but that prospect seemed unlikely given the
mostly original arrangements they performed.  The show winded down, and
they did their final song.  The encore cheers called them back and they
did a number or two before doing the "show stopper" to end the night.

Two of the three Blue Men took center stage with these amazing drum
tube/body suit gizmos.  The kit was worn on the upper body and consisted
of a series of tubes that, when struck with a drum stick-ish instrument,
emitted different pitches and melodic tones.  Blue Man #1 started to
play a familiar tune that I didn't catch until Blue Man #2 joined in
with the support rhythm, and all of a sudden I got it:  Baba O'Riley!
They were playing the synth opening - NOTE FOR NOTE, on these plastic
tubes.  And it sounded incredible.  The entire band joined in, in the
appropriate place, and "special guest" Tracey Bonham sang vocals.  The
crowd loved it, and they had everyone on their feet as Tracey played
violin for the high energy ending.  It was a spectacular cover.

I've seen Blue Man Group before, but in a small theater setting; to my
knowledge, the standard shows have been long running in New York,
Chicago, Las Vegas and L.A only.  This time, it was the Blue Man "tour",
so if they come to your town - run, don't walk, to buy tickets.  Their
rendition of Baba is quite possibly the best Who cover I've yet heard
anywhere and a kick ass show regardless.  You don't want to miss this
one.

Jim in Colorado