Who Are They

MC, re:
I assembled Who are They because my love and respect for The Who has gone beyond
the listener/viewer level. In order to satisfy what I am feeling for the band,
I found this the best outlet.
As a musician and performer myself, I can empathize with that fully.

I have spent countless hours with our lead guitarist arranging Who songs like The Real Me, Relay, and >Success Story, which aren't exactly big hits. I have had to fight the band to include Amazing
Journey/Sparks and See Me, Feel Me into the Tommy run we do. All this and I
have to answer to Scott and his ridiculoud insistence that we have to play 100%
Who to be a Who coverband? Fuck that.
First off, you dont' have to defend yourself to anyone. Second, to be fair to Scott: you're not really a WHO cover band from what I've heard, Just a cover band that plays alot of WHO songs. Nothing wrong with that though.

The Who played Shakin All Over, Young Man Blues, Fortune Teller, SummertimeBlues, Saturday Night's >Alright, Eyesight to the Blind, and a bunch of other covers that actually made it onto their pre-Tommy >albums. Does anyone here say, "Hey. Aren't they The Who? Why do they play other people's stuff, >too?"
Well, they also played alot of WHO songs lol. Not to mention the fact that all of the above songs were very WHO in their arrangement by the band. If you've ever heard any of the original versions then you know what I mean.

> The truth is that Who are They plays what we think are great songs. Most of them
are Who songs. A few are not. When Scott works as hard as I am and forms his own band, then let >him pass judgement on our legitimacy as a Who coverband.
Well I've worked at least as hard and I'm not "passing judgement" as I haven't even heard the band. However, I think some people on this list (hard core WHO fans) might take offense to the fact that you will play TOMMY in the same set as Led Zep and Metallica songs and still call it a WHO cover band.
My advice would be to either play one or two WHO songs in each set (let's face it, if I went to see a band that was billed as a WHO cover band and they started playing ZEP and EnterSandman, I'd be pissed) or play more period music (i.e. kinks, stones, beatles) If I were seeing a WHO cover band, I wouldn't mind hearing that type of thing. Or just drop all the non WHO from the setlist. But hey, you can also do exactly what you bleedin well want to! The fact remains that to be a WHO cover band *by definintion* you would have to play WHO material exclusively. Whatever you do with WHO ARE THEY, good luck to you. It sounds to me like you're a straight rock cover band, no shame in that my friend.
please dont' take this as an attack, MC. I'm just trying to put in my 2 cents as I've been in many bands over the years including a WHO cover band (and yes, we only played WHO songs).
rock on soldier.
peace

Andy

"I don't talk to musicians... they might influence me."
- Pete Townshend
Mansfield, Mass 7/26/2002