Re: Pete's person

In a message dated 5/14/2003 3:50:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us writes:

> I'm not saying I'm right.
> I'm just being honest about how I feel.  Do you think I *want* to be upset
> with Pete?

Scott,

You honesty is what I admire the most about you.  Of course we don't want to
be upset, but seeing how we are a cross section of the world, it is rather
interesting to see how this is affecting the many of us.  Even though we are
from different places/backgrounds, we are still drawn to this group though,
for some reason.

>> I am frustrated because society is so unfair. Life itself isn't fair.

>C'mon, Jon. If the "research" defense were allowed, many *real* pedophiles
would go unpunished. The line has to be drawn somewhere. As beautiful a
human being that Pete is, he's not above the law.

Right.  Law is very hard.  I am glad that we have it.  But sometimes it
doesn't take care of the details and sometimes it is used as leverage for
unjust freedom.

>Does heavy-duty gambling-man Bill Bennett not deserve the criticism he's
getting just because he's championed high morality & virtue throughout most
of his life? Should he "be excused?"

Nope.

>> Pete tried to take on a giant by himself and got crushed by it.

>And who's fault was that, Jon. The giant's fault? Or Pete's?

The giant is there.  It is staring Pete in the face and it is also haunting
him inside.  He wants to do something about it.  He doesn't want it to get
others.  This leads to obsession.  Obsession blurs judgment.  Pete is
obsessed by this.

>> He wasn't strong enough to fight this one.

>No, he wasn't *smart* enough. He blew it. He could've gone about this in
any of a number of other ways than accessing an illegal site. He crushed
himself. "Evil" didn't even have to lift a finger.

Evil *loves* for us to fight it; when we challenge it alone, it always wins
because we are not strong at all.  We only have the illusion that we are. On
the other hand if we are in denial regarding this fact, thinking we are
strong, we will even believe this illusion completely.  That's what
earthquakes are for. And bad women.

>Because too many actual pedophiles have used the research
defense to try to escape punishment. Society can't put everything on hold
because of Pete Townshend. He's a part of society; not the other way
around.

You are absolutely right about this.

>> He should have never done this alone.

>No. Alone is fine. What he shouldn't have done was access an illegal child
porn site

If it were only that simple.

>> I have been considering what it is that he should do now. I know what I
>> would do.

>Blast NWA & start mowing people down? ;-)

 LOL! Thanks, I needed that laugh!  That is one of the reasons I put that I
am thankful for you on my thanksgiving list.  I also put ADB on there.

>Great. Pete gets religion & I never get to see him play live again. Who's
gonna answer *my* prayers?!

LOL.  I know, I know.

>> He challenged darkness itself, seemingly by himself.

>Now *that's* putting a spin on the situation! One could argue that by
accessing the site he *became* the darkness, via a horrible sin.

Child pornography is about as dark as it gets.  Look how upset we are about
it and it didn't even happen to the bulk of us. No spins here, just my
observation.

>If we're absolute failures then how can we be trusted to realize there is
something else "going on?" Maybe those who believe that are just failing
themselves yet again.

To admit failure is to admit we are not able. That is being real.  To face
such a thing is to be honest with ourselves.  Pete is trying to lift
something that weighs 300 lb..  He thinks he can lift it.  By failing, he is
blessed to know that he should stop trying.  Now he can go and ask the One
who *is* able to do it.  I know what I am talking about here.  This is how I
know that God is real.  The day that Pete gives up and opens up will be the
day that God shows up. Pete's troubles with molestation will haunt him no
more.  The Light is always shining. However, if we are veiled and not open,
it is not shining on us. The problem is not on God's side.

>So, we Who fans, & Pete's family & friends, all have to suffer this humil-
iation just so Pete can gain "the Light?" Hardly seems fair.

I call that a Bargain.  I would love to see this happen. I would love to see
Pete gain what it is that every person on earth is after and most are not
getting.  True peace.
It is fair because it is worth it. I don't know why I care about the guy so
much, but for me to keep quiet, be polite, and pretend that I don't know
something that I really do know is not being honest on my side.

>> I am not discouraged by the dark regions in his soul. Or in mine. My
>> concern is to open them up that the Light can shine in.

>I take it you mean admit your sin. Admit your transgressions. Admit your
mistakes. Good advice for Pete. Admit your sin, Pete. Apologize for
fucking up so badly

Actually what I am talking about is the many compartments inside of us that
we keep  the Light from shining into.  These are the parts of our soul that
are occupied by darkness with a dark power fighting to stay shut to Light.
Keeping us hostages without our permission or knowledge.  In the dark.

*Real* prayer? As opposed to......prayers that don't get answered? BTW,
your prayers for me have failed miserably. I'm as atheistic as ever. And
loving it! I'm free!!

Ha :-) And so strong too!

>> For someone to open even a crack is a miracle.

>Hey now! I got a crack for ya'! ;-o

<sigh> ;)

>I hope Pete apologizes for his
mistake & continues to do what has made me admire him all these years:
making honest, intelligent, & thoughtful music.

I don't foresee this not happening.  This is a difficult time that I know
will get better as time goes on.  But it did leave a black mark.

Jon in Mi.