Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #150

Over the past few tumultuous days, the members of this mailing list have made
a lot of valid points and jumped to a lot of conclusions. I really think
Scott perfectly encapsulated what most of us are feeling with his, "I'm mad
at Pete. I'm not mad at Pete." poem.

Right now, the investigation is over and the important thing is there was no
incriminating evidence (besides Pete's own admission of using his credit card
to gain some sort of access to the site) and Pete is not going to jail;
unfortunately some people will always think he is guilty. Now, I don't think
anyone reading this believes that Pete is a paedophile, and I don't think
Scotland Yard does either. At this point, what we Who fans are looking for is
the why. Not the "why did you go to that site," because we know that. It was
to learn what he was fighting and to help him come to terms with what
happened to him as a youngster. We have questions that need answers. In 'A
Different Bomb', did he write that
visiting these sites encourages the perpetuation of them, weigh the pros and
cons, and then
decide to visit one anyway? Or, was that warning in ADB the result of him
realizing he made this mistake himself, and he hoped to prevent us from
making it? Also, once and for all, was his credit card ACTUALLY charged, and
if so how much? If it was charged, why did he think that was okay at the
time?

We waited four months for Pete to be exonerated, but we are unfortunately
still going to have to hunker down and wait some more to find out the rest.
Instead of speculation and anger, we need more patience. At some point, Pete
will have his say, and hopefully our questions will be answered and we can be
happy, or be angry, or be relieved, or be whatever it is we will finally be.
He will write to us on the website, or he will be on Letterman, or "20/20"
(or whatever equivalent they have in Britain). We just have to be patient.
I've waited four months, I can wait a little longer.

-Chris in Cleveland