pete's computer disposal

> "But by the time Townshend was arrested he had got rid of the
> computer he used when he paid to access the depraved images
> in 1999."

I have not always been a huge fan of the "spirit of the law" concept, but in certain circumstances it is valuable and, more importantly, just.  Operation Ore and all law enforcement movements to combat child abuse have as their purpose the elimination of as many child abusers as possible.  Any expert will tell you that child abuse, and more specifically paedophilia, is a habitual crime.  The offenders that the laws being enforced by Op Ore are after, are not people like Pete Townshend (awk sentence but u get the drift).

Put in perspective, even if Pete disposed of the one computer he used to access the site just one time in 1999, the sex offender Op Ore is supposedly after would not have been able to keep from viewing child porn on other computers, or gaining physical access to such filth and have it at their home.  There would most definitely have been evidence.  The argument put forth by these writers is entirely specious for this very reason.

Most assume that when someone gets caught doing something, it's not the first time they have done it.  ALL evidence in THIS case, however, points to the fact that Pete did only do this the one time four years ago, and has been crusading against it ever since.  Is this someone who deserves to be branded a sex offender?  One can be mad at Pete for being so careless and naiive, which is justified.  But what has been done to Pete is the antithesis of justice.

Mc