Re: Fury at Townshend Let-Off

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:33:50 -0400
From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>

 >The Sun speaks at:
 ><http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003210937,00.html>
Fury at Townshend let-off
By MIKE SULLIVAN and IAN HEPBURN, Sun Crime Team
<snip>

But by the time Townshend was arrested he had got rid
of the computer he used when he paid to access the
 >depraved images in 1999.
This is the one and only place I've seen it stated that Pete paid for access, as opposed to simply giving his credit card to verify his age. I need confirmation, as this could easily be a case of sloppy writing and editing.

The Sun states, "Operation Ore was launched after US investigators gave detectives details of Brits who had paid to access child porn on the web."

While I'm sure a large majority of the card numbers turned over to British police were used to pay, it was never stated at any time since this thing broke (AFAIK) that the numbers were ONLY of cards used to pay.

"But by the time Townshend was arrested he had got rid of the computer he used when he paid to access the depraved images in 1999."

And I'm with AEB on this...where did the Sun get this infonugget...that out of nearly a dozen computers Pete owned, he "got rid" of the exact one that he used to access the site? Further, even if he did get rid of that computer, I don't believe he acted with evil intent, nor will I believe it until I hear or see Pete's own admission to that effect (which, frankly, seems extremely unlikely).

I have more I could say, but I'll save it unless and until it is verified that Pete paid.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."