Re: Football Pain and Pete's blazing guitar work

In a message dated 5/1/2003 11:13:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org writes:

> Don't forget what Eddie VanHeineken (recent quote on Howard Stern by David
> Lee tight pants) once wrote to Pete...
> "Hey, just listened to LAL.  Those are some great fuck ups on there."  Or
> something like that.

Yeah.  I remember reading that shit back around '84. You don't think that
there may have been a little jealousy there do you? what, with that great *VH
Live* album everyone always talks about and uses as *their* benchmark.

My favorite Pete solo of late is the one he does in Naked Eye on the WNDE
disk 2.  Pure power. The expression of genius mixed with
anger/frustration/human feelings/explosiveness forced out in a unique
*dynamic* way that only one dude on the planet can deliver. Pete Townshend.
It *NEVER* gets old because it is real. I also really enjoy the live Pure and
Easy especially the part after Pete's soloing where he just starts *wailing*
the powerchords. I would break something with you, Kev!!

I can take VH for one or two spins and that's it. However, I've had this WN
cd in my deck since it came out and I am just now scratching the surface of
it's enjoyment.

I scoff and even laugh at Eddy Van Halen's little statement that exposes what
a small man he must be inside.  Back in 1984 Van Halen was really big. The
Who was over.  So he thought.

Jon in Mi.