Re: ICSFM

OOOOh, Hmm, this is going to really bother me now, because I DEFINITELY
heard Pete say this within the last couple of years. This sounds like an
assignment for Ken! Where did I hear him say it, Ken? (Pete commenting on
the reason for not playing ICSFM live) He spoke a bit sarcastically, like we
should know how hard it would be to play.
I have heard a number of reasons as to why they don't play ICSFM often in concert. The latest was that there were too many guitar parts (Pete said that about 1-2 years ago). I think the more common belief was that the drumming was too difficult for Moon to pull off live. Regardless how strange that sounds, the evidence sort of points to it, since I don't think they EVER performd the song truly live during the Who's existence with Keith Moon. And on the surface, it seems like it could have been such an ass-kickin' song, especially during those Leeds-era shows. The other thing that lends credibility to this reason is becuase they did start playing it live with Kenny Jones. they did it in 79 and 82, again in 89 with Simon Phillips, then once in '02. Maybe after they started playing it live, Pete wasn't happy with the sound after all, and both reasons became valid.

-gern