Re: Sensitive songs and not so sensitive ears

From: Keithjmoon70@aol.com>Reply-To: thewho@igtc.com

I did listen to the WN DE today. All I can add, seeing how I am not an
audiophile (or any other kind of 'phile by the way) is that disc two
surprised and delighted me. I had no idea how great the Young Vic
performances actually were. All I ever heard was how well it didn't go and I figured it deserved an asterisk. Flush that. What it deserves is a high watt stereo with a good kicker box and a set of ears willing to get their ass kicked. Keith and John are back.
Ditto! I wonder if some of it is because of Pete's apologetic comments during the show? A bit lame? I still can't get over that. This is anything but lame. Awesome, would be more appropriate. Highlight for me is PAE which is worth the $19.99 by itself.

Yes, Pete's guitar cuts out in YMB for about 20 seconds. So, just think of it as a bass solo. He probably pulled the cord out jumping around like a maniac. OK, I'm listening to Naked Eye now and Daltrey just totally forgot a line. But, so the fuck what? This could be Roger at his best. His voice is sublime virtually throughout. So much more accomplished than at Leeds, just a year earlier. Listen for him singing the synth part at the start of Bargain.

Now there's some kid shouting for Summertime Blues as they launch into WGFA. He's probably all pissed off at these new songs he doesn't know. Hell, he's probably never heard a synthesizer before, right? WGFA might be the only song where I notice the lack of comfort some are describing. It's not that it's played poorly, but it doesn't have the reckless power of the TKAA version, for example. They seem to be "feeling their way" through it. You do get Pete filling in during the synth. sections, which I thought was a strictly recent addition. Shit, that snotty kid's still demanding Summertime Blues as WGFA is ending. I wonder if he remembers what a fool he was. I guess we've all been there. I probably shouldn't admit this here, but when I saw them in 1982 I misheard Pete when he introduced Dr. Jimmy saying "this one's from Quadrophenia." I turned to my sister and excitedly said, "this one's called ATHENA!"

Jim M (a very happy Who fan, who thanks you all for bringing this release to my attention)