war and politics on-list

> But
> how would it feel when you`re driving a car and the gasoline that makes the
> engine work is made of Iraque oil and thus is the cost of many people`s
> lives? It`s not about politics, it`s about life and death.

This war is most definitely NOT about oil.  Oil prices were stable, the free flow at market prices intact.  The result of this war will not change this.  Oil prices are falling as we speak, and by summer should be close to 30 cents lower (same price as last summer).

>Politics is a big
> and unfair game. I`m just trying to say that nobody should die, and the
> death of one Iraque citizen is equal to the death to one American citizen
> and so on.

I agree in principle, but sometimes there is a price that must be made to ensure peace in the future.  Morally, yes, an Iraqi life equals an American life.  However, the duty of OUR government is to do its best to protect American citizens. Having the largest stockpiles of chemical and bio weapons out of the hands of Saddam makes the U.S. and the world much safer. Besides, this war will save many times more Iraqi lives than it will take.  Saddam has killed exponentially more Iraqi citizens than the U.S. ever will.

>I don`t know what each of you here on this list thinks about this
> war, but, be it the Who list or not, we can`t ignore the fact that our life
> is going deeper into tragedy. It would be a blasphemy to say, let the world
> ruin around me, let everybody die, I have my Who, and I`m happy. Wasn`t
> September 11 a tragedy enough? One of my American friends lost her friends
> in that tragedy: they were on the plain that hit the
> Pentagon. Is it
> politics? It`s life.

Yes, and there are many outlets for your concern other than this list.  Join a protest, write or call elected officials, publish an internet newsletter, write an op-ed letter.  This is America and you have more vehicles for political action here than in any country since the dawn of time.  Let's heed Paul's warning and keep this out of here.

Mc

PS- feel free to e-mail privately if you would like to debate, or do so via Instant Message (same screen name)